Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 11 (1972) pp. 1-5 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (538K)| |Buy This Article|
Geometry of the Crystal Lattice of β-Tin
Department of Physics, College of Engineering, Nihon University
(Received October 22, 1969)
The arrangement of atoms in a β-tin crystal lattice is studied. Interplanar spacings between lattice planes and the minimum atomic distances in glide are calculated. Geometrical approaches are carried out on the stacking of lattice planes and the atomic arrangement of jogs which are produced by intersection of dislocations or emission of vacancies. The results are discussed in connection with the reported slip systems and the observed phenomena in plastic deformation. Elastic interaction between a slip and a forest dislocation is studied, and the force exerted on each part of the slip dislocation and the total force are calculated for every combination of relative locations and Burgers vectors of both dislocations.
- J. Obinata and E. Schmid: Z. Phys. 82 (1933) 224.
- B. Chalmers: Proc. Roy. Soc. A 156 (1936) 427.
- J. Weertman and J. E. Breen:
J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1956) 1189[AIP Scitation].
- T. Hirokawa, K. Yomogita and K. Honda: Lattice Defects and their Interactions ed. R. R. Hashiguti (Gordon Breach, New York, 1967) p. 1059.
- T. Hirokawa, K. Yomogita and K. Honda: Proc. Intern. Conf. on Strength of Metals and Alloys, Tokyo, 1967, Trans Japan Inst. Met. 9 (1968) Suppl. p. 837.
- H. Mark and M. Polanyi: Z. Phys. 18 (1923) 75.
- The Properties of Tin (Tin Research Institute, Greenford, England, 1954).
- R. W. Vook: Acta Metall. 12 (1964) 197.
- E. Schmid and W. Boas: Kristallplastizität (Springer, Berlin, 1935) p. 85.
- R. W. G. Wyckoff: Crystal Structures (Interscience, New York, 1963) 2nd ed., Vol. 1, p. 28.
- A. Seeger: Rep. Conf. on Defects in Crystalline Solid (Phys. Soc. London, 1955) p. 391.
- M. Peach and J. S. Koehler:
Phys. Rev. 80 (1950) 436[APS].