Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 11 (1972) pp. 47-54 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1169K)| |Buy This Article|
A Study of Pole Shapes for Quadrupole Magnets Having Circular Pole Tips
Institute for Nuclear Study, University of Tokyo
(Received July 19, 1971)
Harmonic field contents of quadrupole magnets having circular pole tips of various radii Rp's and rectangular coil slots at various distances Lcut's from the centre were numerically calculated by using two dimensional scalar potentials. Optimum radius of circular pole tip varies from 1.0088 to 1.1374 times the gap radius Rg as Lcut from 0.8 to 1.4 times Rg. Designs of optimum pole shapes for drift tube quadrupole magnets are discussed from harmonic field content, available coil space, core saturation and problems in fabrication. Flat poles as a limit of large pole tip radii were also calculated. A few measurements are compared with the calculations.
- J. T. Hyman: Modified Design and Dimensions for the Injector Linac Quadrupoles (HAG/INJ/14, Rutherford High Energy Laboratory, 1959).
- H. Baba, M. Kobayashi, T. Nishikawa, J. Tanaka and S. Yamashita: Prototype of Drift Tube Quadrupole Magnets (SJC-A-70-6, Institute for Nuclear Study, 1970).
- G. J. Bellendir and R. J. Lari: Optimization of Quadrupole Magnets with Circular Pole Tips (ANL Internal Report, GJB/RJL-1, 1965).
- E. Regenstreif: The CERN Proton Synchrotron, Ch. V Injection (CERN 60-26, 1960).
- R. M. Vengrov, M. D. Veselov, G. V. Veselova, E. N. Danil'tsev, I. M. Kapchinskii, A. M. Kozodaev, R. P. Kuibida, N. V. Lazarev, V. K. Plotnikov and N. S. Strel'tsov: PTE 5 (1967) 28.
- I. M. Kapchinskii, V. G. Kulman, N. V. Lazarev, B. P. Murin, I. Kh. Nevyazhsky, V. K. Plotnikov and B. I. Polyakov: The Injector Design for a 70 BeV Proton Synchrotron (Intern. Conf. on High Energy Accelerators, Dubna, 1963, p. 462).
- G. T. Danby and J. W. Jackson: Theory, Design and Measurement of the Brook-haven Narrow Quadrupoles (IEEE Trans. NS. 14 (1967) 714).
- M. Kobayashi, J. Tanaka, S. Yamashita and H. Baba: Field Measuring System of Drift Tube Quadrupole Magnets (SJC-A-71-1, Institute for Nuclear Study, 1971).