Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 12 (1973) pp. 1522-1530 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1059K)| |Buy This Article|
Process of Order-Disorder Transformation in Iron-Aluminum Alloys
Department of Iron and Steel Metallurgy, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University
(Received March 10, 1973)
The process of order-disorder transformation during slow cooling and isothermal annealing in Fe–Al alloys has been investigated by means of X-ray diffraction. During slow cooling the ordering takes place through the two-phase state at a certain composition. while at other compositions it occurs as a single-phase transformation. The isothermal ordering proceeds by a nucleation and growth of the ordered phase, and under certain circumstances the precipitation of disordered phase takes place gradually in the course of annealing. The disordering into the two-phase state from an ordered single phase proceeds in two steps. The most plausible phase diagram of the Fe–Al system containing the two-phase regions, α+B2 and α+DO3, is proposed. The size of ordered domains is estimated from the widths of superlattice reflections, and its change during the order-disorder transformation is discussed.
- A. J. Bradley and A. H. Jay: Proc. Roy. Soc. A136 (1932) 210.
- H. J. McQueen and G. C. Kuczynski: Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 219 (1959) 619.
- A. Lawley and R. W. Cahn: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 20 (1961) 204.
- R. G. Davies: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 24 (1963) 985.
- A. Taylor and R. M. Jones: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 6 (1958) 16.
- A. V. Seybolt: Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 218 (1960) 570.
- F. Lihl and H. Ebel: Arch. Eisenhüttenw. 32 (1961) 483.
- L. Rimlinger: Compt. Rend. 261 (1965) 4090.
- H. Okamoto and P. A. Beck: Met. Trans. 2 (1971) 569.
- G. Lütjering and H. Warlimont: Z. Metallkde. 56 (1965) 1.
- P. R. Swann and R. M. Fisher:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 9 (1966) 279[AIP Scitation].
- P. Morgand, P. Mouturat and G. Sainfort: Acta Metall. 16 (1968) 867.
- H. Warlimont: Z. Metallkde. 60 (1969) 195.
- P. R. Swann, W, R. Duff and R. M. Fisher: Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 245 (1969) 851.
- P. R. Swann, W. R. Duff and R. M. Fisher: Met. Trans. 3 (1972) 409.
- K. Yamanaka, H. Ino, R. Oshima and F. E. Fujita: J. Japan Inst. Metals 35 (1971) 566 [in Japanese].
- R. G. Davies: Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME 230 (1964) 903.
- K. Oki, M. Hasaka and T. Eguchi: Trans. Japan Inst. Metals 14 (1973) 8.
- T. Eguchi, H. Matsuda, K. Oki, S. Kiyoto and K. Yasutake: Trans. Japan Inst. Metals 8 (1967) 174.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Statistical Physics (Pergamon Press, London, 1958) p. 430.
- M. A. Krivoglaz and A. A. Smirnov: The Theory of Order-Disorder in Alloys (Macdonald, London, 1964) p. 109.
- J. E. Epperson and J. E. Spruiell: J. Phys. Chem. Solids 30 (1969) 1721.