Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 15 (1976) pp. 1253-1262 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1020K)| |Buy This Article|
An Analytical Treatment on the Pattern Formation Process by Sputter Etching with a Mask
Musashino Electrical Communication Laboratory, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Public Corporation
(Received April 11, 1975)
The pattern formation process, in which a substrate with a patterned mask is sputter-etched, is investigated by means of a theoretical analysis based on the dependence of the etch rate on the angle of ton incidence V(θ). By introducing a characteristic curve, determined only by function V(θ), the cross-sectional profile generated by masking cart be predicted. For various factors, such as the etch rates of the mask and the substrate V1 and V2 and the inclination angle of the mask pattern edge θ1, the side-wall slope of a pattern machined into the substrate surface θ2 mostly depends only on the ratio of the etch rates V2/V1, and it increases discontinuously for V2/V1>1. Depending on whether V1<V2 or V1>V2, the pattern formation processes are classified into two types. High resolution and sharply defined patterns are usually obtained under the condition V1<V2.
- Hugh L. Garvin, E. Garmire, S. Somekh, H. Stoll and A. Yariv: Appl. Opt. 12 (1973) 455.
- J. E. Goell: Appl. Opt. 12 (1973) 729.
- I. P. Kaminow, V. Ramaswamy, R. V. Schmidt and E. H. Turner:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 24 (1974) 622[AIP Scitation].
- A. D. G. Stewart and M. W. Thompson:
J. Mater. Sci. 4 (1969) 56[CrossRef].
- I. S. T. Tsong and D. J. Barber: J. Mater. Sci. 7 (1972) 687.
- G. K. Wehner and D. J. Hajicek:
J. Appl. Phys. 42 (1971) 1145[AIP Scitation].
- L. Holland and C. R. D. Priestland: Vacuum 22 (1972) 133.
- C. Catana, J. S. Colligon and G. Carter:
J. Mater. Sci. 7 (1972) 467[CrossRef].
- D. J. Barber, F. C. Frank, M. Moss, J. W. Steeds and I. S. T. Tsong: J. Mater. Sci. 8 (1973) 1030.
- G. Carter, J. S. Colligon and M. J. Nobes: J. Mater. Sci. 8 (1973) 1473.
- J. P. Ducommun, M. Cantagrel and M. Marchal: J. Mater. Sci. 9 (1974) 725.
- H. Bach: Naturwissenschaften 55 (1968) 439.
- H. Bach: J. Non-Cryst. Solids 3 (1970) 1.
- M. W. Thompson: Philos. Mag. 18 (1968) 377.