Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 17 (1978) pp. 1231-1243 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1542K)| |Buy This Article|
Optical Tunable Switched Directional Couplers Consisting of Two Thin-Film Waveguides Using Surface Acoustic Waves
Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, Faculty of Engineering, Nagoya University
(Received December 10, 1977)
Control methods of the fraction of optical power transferred between two waveguides using a collinear acousto-optic interaction is theoretically investigated. The effect of a surface acoustic wave (a SAW) on the mode coupling between the fundamental even and odd eigenmodes of a directional coupler system is analysed and two control methods of optical power transferred are proposed. The required SAW powers of the switched couplers using SAW's and thin-film acousto-optic devices such as optical beam deflectors and optical mode convertors are comparable to one another. The efficiently controllable bandwidth of the optical wavelength λ0 are approximately 100 Å and 40 Å at λ0≃0.63 µm for the symmetric and asymmetric switched couplers with the SAW wavelength of 25 µm and the interaction length of 8 mm. The optical center wavelength of the controllable range can be tuned by the SAW frequency.
- S. Kurazono, K. Iwasaki and N. Kumagai: Trans. Inst. Electron. Commun. Eng. Japan 55-C (1972) 61 [in Japanese].
- H. Kogelnik and R. V. Schmidt: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-12 (1976) 396.
- T. Kondo, Y. Miyazaki and Y. Akao: Paper of Technical Group on Quantum Electronics by the Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, OQE 77–9 (1977) [in Japanese].
- L. Kuhn, P. F. Heidrich and E. G. Lean:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 19 (1971) 428[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Ohmachi:
J. Appl. Phys. 44 (1973) 3928[AIP Scitation].
- H. Sasaki, J. Kushibiki, N. Chubachi and Y. Kikuchi: Trans. Inst. Electron. Commun. Eng. Japan 57-C (1974) 419 [in Japanese].
- Y. Ohmachi and J. Noda: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-13 (1977) 43.
- R. W. Dixon:
J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1967) 5149[AIP Scitation].
- E. A. J. Marcatili: Bell Syst. Tech. J. 48 (1969) 2071.
- Y. Suematsu and K. Kishino: Paper of Technical Group on Quantum Electronics by the Institute of Electronics and Communication Engineers of Japan, OQE 75–66 (1975) [in Japanese].