Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 17 (1978) pp. 305-313 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1213K)| |Buy This Article|
Studies of Ordered Monodisperse Polystyrene Latexes. I. Shear Ultrasonic Measurements
Department of Applied Physics, Faculty of Engineering University of Tokyo
(Received September 14, 1977)
The rigidity G and the viscosity η of monodisperse polystyrene latexes were measured by the torsional quartz crystal method at 70 kHz, and an abrupt change in G and η was found at the order-disorder transition of the latexes. The torsional quartz crystal method was improved for measurements with aqueous conductive samples, and a careful calibration showed that G and η are obtained if the dielectric constant of the sample is known. In the ordered state of latex with a volume concentration of 9.3%, the apparent rigidity G and the viscosity η were about 1.5×103 dyne/cm2 and 0.6 cp, respectively, while in the disordered state G was small and η was 0.95 cp. Ordered latex is a “crystal” formed by the screened Coulomb repulsion and is a good model not only for crystals but also for ordered structures in some biological systems.
- R. Williams, R. S. Crandall and P. J. Wojtowitz:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 37 (1976) 348[APS].
- S. Hachisu, Y. Kobayashi and A. Kose: J. Colloid Interface Sci. 42 (1973) 342.
- V. W. Luck, M. Klier and H. Wesslau: Die Naturwissenschaften 14 (1963) 485.
- A. Kose, T. Osaki, Y. Kobayashi, K. Takano and S. Hachisu: J. Colloid Interface Sci. 44 (1973) 330.
- P. A. Hiltner, Y. S. Papir and I. M. Krieger: J. Phys. Chem. 75 (1971) 1881.
- R. Williams and R. S. Crandall: Phys. Lett. 48A (1974) 225.
- T. Ohtsuki, S. Mitaku and K. Okano: to be published in Jpn. J. Appl. Phys.
- J. W. Vanderhoff, H. J. Van Den Hul, R. J. Tausk and J. Th. G. Overbeek: Clean Surfaces, ed. by G. Goldfinger (Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 1970) p. 15.
- A. Sakanishi and H. Tanaka:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 12 (1973) 1410[JSAP].
- Y. Wada, H. Sasabe and M. Tomono: Biopolymers 5 (1967) 887.
- B. J. Alder and T. E. Wainwright:
Phys. Rev. 127 (1962) 359[APS].
- E. Wigner: Trans. Faraday Soc. 34 (1938) 678.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Fluid Mechanics (Pergamon Press, London, 1959) p. 507.
- P. G. de Gennes: The Physics of Liquid Crystals (Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1974) Chap. 7.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Fluid Mechanics (Pergamon Press, London, 1959) p. 89.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Theory of Elasticity (Pergamon Press, London, 1959) p. 131.
- H. Fröhlich and R. Sack: Proc. Royal Soc. A185 (1946) 415.
- M. Wadati and M. Toda: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 32 (1972) 1147.
- A. Klug, R. E. Franklin and S. P. F. Humphreys-Owen: Biochim. Biophys. Acta 32 (1959) 203.
- M. H. F. Wilkins, A. R. Stokes, W. E. Seeds and G. Oster: Nature 166 (1950) 127.
- L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Pergamon Press, London, 1960) p. 43.