Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 17 (1978) pp. 779-785 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (775K)| |Buy This Article|
Growth of ZnSxSe1-x Layers on ZnS and ZnSe Substrates by a Solid-State-Diffusion Technique
Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University
(Received September 12, 1977)
The present paper reports on the growth of zinc sulpho-selenide solid solutions on ZnS and ZnSe substrates by a closed tube, solid-state-diffusion technique. The composition of the overlayer prepared by the diffusion of Se into ZnS is uniform throughout a depth of the order of 5 µm. On the other hand, the overlayer prepared by the diffusion of S into ZnSe does not have such uniform composition as in the case of the diffusion of Se: the variation in composition is ∼5%. Below the overlayer, a transition region with a varying composition was formed. The depth profile of the composition of the transition region is approximated by a diffusion theory, which provides the diffusion constant of Se into ZnS at a temperature 1070°C, that is 5×10-13 cm2/sec, under the condition that S2 and Se2 pressures are PS2=0.75 atm and PSe2=1.75 atm. The diffusion constant of S into ZnSe is 8×10-12 cm2/sec at 1060°C under PS2=0.57 and PSe2=1.53 atm.
- A. Ebina, E. Fukunaga and T. Takahashi:
Phys. Rev. B10 (1974) 2495[APS].
- K. E. Kirshfeld, N. Nelkowsky and T. S. Wagner:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 29 (1972) 66[APS].
- H. F. Taylor, W. E. Martin, D. B. Hall and V. N. Smiley:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 21 (1972) 95[AIP Scitation].
- W. E. Martin and D. B. Hall:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 21 (1972) 325[AIP Scitation].
- E. T. Handelman and W. Kaiser:
J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1964) 3519[AIP Scitation].
- V. S. Ban and E. A. D. White: J. Cryst. Growth 33 (1976) 365.
- V. V. Illarionov and L. M. Lapina: Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR 114 (1957) 1021.
- D. R. Stull and G. C. Sinke: Thermodynamic Properties of the Elements (American Chemical Society, 1956).
- P. Goldfinger and M. Jeunehomme: Trans. Faraday Soc. 59 (1963) 2851.
- W. J. Wösten and M. G. Geers:
J. Phys. Chem. 66 (1962) 1252[CrossRef].