Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 18 (1979) pp. 1329-1334 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (754K)| |Buy This Article|
Studies on the Measurement of Plasma Parameters by Means of the RF Probe Method
Department of Electrical Engineering, Musashi Institute of Technology
(Received July 27, 1978)
The RF impedance of a probe in collisionless plasmas has been studied. Numerical results of the RF impedance vs. the probe bias potential for various ωp/ω are given, where ωp and ω are the angular frequencies of the plasma and the applied RF signal, respectively. Collision effect on these RF impedance characteristics is also analyzed and discussed. A new method based on this study in order to determine the electron temperature and the electron density of the plasma is proposed. This proposed method has been also assured in a different manner by measuring the electron temperature and the electron density employing a usual Langmuir single probe method simultaneously. Experimental results agreed with the theory for the gas pressures up to 3 Torr where the electron mean free path is smaller than the probe radius by the factor of about 1/5.
- R. L. F. Boyd: Proc. Soc. London 201A (1950) 329.
- S. L. Chen, J. S. Chang and S. Matsumura:
J. Appl. Phys. 41 (1970) 1711[AIP Scitation].
- T. H. Y. Young and J. Sayers: Proc. Phys. Soc. 70B (1957) 663.
- T. Dote and T. Ichimiya: Proc. IEEE 52 (1964) 1240.
- R. S. Harp and F. W. Crawford:
J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1964) 3436[AIP Scitation].
- R. Buckley: Proc. R. Soc. London A290 (1966) 186.
- T. Dote: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 24 (1968) 224.
- S. H. Lam:
Phys. Fluids 8 (1965) 73[AIP Scitation].
- R. E. Kiel and W. A. Gustafson:
Phys. Fluids 9 (1966) 1531[AIP Scitation].
- F. F. Chen: J. Nucl. Energy C4 (1965) 46.
- J. G. Laframboise: UTIAS Rep. No. 100 (1966).
- S. Matsumura and S. L. Chen:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 16 (1977) 1287[JSAP].
- J. F. Waymouth:
Phys. Fluids 7 (1964) 1843[AIP Scitation].