Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 20 (1981) pp. L459-L461 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (775K)| |Buy This Article|
Coherent Oscillation of Domains of Nematic Liquid Crystals in a DC Electric Field
Research Laboratory of Precision Machinery and Electronics, Tokyo Institute of Technology
(Received April 22, 1981; accepted for publication May 12, 1981)
It has been observed that the domains of nematic liquid crystals oscillate coherently in a DC electric field. The behavior of this oscillation is different from the fluctuation of Williams domains in an AC electric field. The threshold voltage and the frequency of the oscillation are described.
- S. Chandrasekhar: Liquid Crystals (Cambridge University Press, 1977).
- S. Kai and K. Hirakawa: Mem. Fac. Eng. Kyushu Univ. 36 (1977) 269.
- For example, P. Grandsorff and I. Prigogine: Thermodynamic Theory of Structure Stability and Fluctuation (Wiley Interscience, New York, 1971).
- P. H. Bolomey and C. Dimitropoulos: Mol. Cryst. & Liq. Cryst. 36 (1976) 75.
- S. Akahoshi, K. Miyakawa and A. Takase:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 15 (1976) 1839[JSAP].
- Orsay Liquid Crystal Group: Mol. Cryst. & Liq. Cryst. 12 (1971) 251.