Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 20 (1981) pp. L646-L648 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (388K)| |Buy This Article|
New Bistable Optical Device Using Semiconductor Laser Diode
Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University
(Received July 29, 1981; accepted for publication August 11, 1981)
A novel bistable optical device simply consisting of a semiconductor laser diode and a photodetector has been experimentally demonstrated for the first time. We describe the operational principle graphically to explain the observed effects such as hysteresis and differential gain. The development of its monolithically integrated version will lead to a number of fascinating and useful applications.
- H. M. Gibbs, S. L. McCall and T. N. C. Venkatesan: Opt. News 5 (1979) 6.
- H. Ito, Y. Ogawa and H. Inaba: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-17 (1981) 325.
- V. N. Lisitsyn and V. P. Chebotaev: JETP Lett. 7 (1968) 1.
- A. P. Bogatov, P. G. Eliseev and G. T. Pak: Sov. J. Quantum Electron. 8 (1978) 1408.
- K. H. Levin and C. L. Tang: Appl. Phys. Lett. 34 (1979) 376.