Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1982) pp. 1373-1378 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (870K)| |Buy This Article|
Germination and Growth of a Vegetable Exposed to Very Severe Environmental Conditions Experimentally Induced by High Voltage
Chubu Institute of Technology
(Received May 4, 1982; accepted for publication June 19, 1982)
Ultra-high-voltage (UHV) transmission power lines are required in order to reduce transmission energy losses, and to transfer more power across long distances. However, the ecological and biological influence of UHV lines has not been documented well. Possible influences of UHV lines are: electro-magnetic field, ozone, NOx, and ion shower. The purpose of this study was to obtain information on the germination and growth of Raphanus sativus L.cv. Kaiware-daikon exposed to an experimental environment in which all the above influences at very severe intensity levels were working simultaneously. Several environmental conditions severer than those predicted for future UHV lines were set up, using a high voltage at 60 Hz. The germination and growth of this plant were suppressed under the experimental conditions used, the suppression being greater the severer the conditions. When the electric field is strong, corona discharge occurs at the tip of the plant.
- N. Yamada: J. Inst. Electr. Eng. Jpn. 101 (1981) No. 3, p. 43 [in Japanese].
- I. Kimoto, T. Fujimura and K. Naito: IEEE Trans. Power Appar. & Syst. PAS-91 (1972) 311.
- W. C. Pokorny and R. W. Flugum: IEEE Trans. Power Appar. & Syst. PAS-94 (March/April 1975) 518.
- A. J. Kacher, J. J. LaForest and L. E. Zaffanella: IEEE Trans. Power Appar. & Syst. PAS-90 (July/August 1971) 1604.
- L. Paris, F. Reggiani and M. Valtorta: Ninth World Energy Conf. Paper (1974) Vol. VI, p. 341.
- G. W. Juette, L. E. Zaffanella: IEEE Trans. Power Appar. & Syst. PAS-91 (January/February 1972) 223.
- S. Tsurumi, G. Ikeda and K. Horii: Hoden Kenkyu 64 (1977) 99 [in Japanese].
- G. W. Mckee, D. P. Knievel, D. T. Poznaniak and J. W. Bankoske: IEEE Trans. Power Appar. & Syst. 4 (1978) 1177.
- J. W. Bankoske, D. T. Poznaniak, G. W. Mckee and H. B. Graves: Proc. Int. Conf. Large High Voltage Electr. Syst. (1978) Vol. 27-2, Session 36-05, p. 1.
- N. Yoshimura, F. Noto, K. Ikeda and Y. Yokoi: Shingakugiho, EMCJ 80-29 80 (1981) No. 73 [in Japanese].
- M. Shibusawa and K. Shibata: J. Inst. Electr. Eng. Jpn. 47 (1927) No. 12, p. 1259.
- H. N. Scherer, B. T. Ware, C. H. Shih: IEEE Trans. Power Electron. & Syst. PES-92 (1972) 1043.
- T. Sugimoto: J. Inst. Electr. Eng. Jpn. 90 (1970) No. 2, p. 317 [in Japanese].
- H. Okamoto: Plant & Cell Physiol. 3 (1962) 83.