Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 22 (1983) pp. 712-718 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1193K)| |Buy This Article|
Undercut in a CF4-Based High-Pressure Poly-Si Plasma Etch
VLSI Technologies and Processes, SGS Semiconductor Components
(Received May 28, 1982; revised manuscript revised October 6, 1982; accepted for publication December 18, 1982)
The behaviour of the plasma etching of polycrystalline Si (P-doped and undoped) in a CF4-based high-pressure glow discharge is studied as a function of the power density, of the exposed poly-Si surface area (the so called loading effect), of the flow rate of CF3Cl and of the flow rate of N2O and O2 as additive gases.
Partially in contrast with the current results reported in the literature, the experimental data here presented show that P-doped poly-Si is etched slower than undoped poly-Si in the mixture CF4+CF3Cl+N2O as well as in the mixture CF4+CF3Cl+O2, probably as a result of the different interaction mechanisms between substrate and gaseous reactants, which could be established at such high pressure and flowrate as in our experiment.
Furthermore, our data reveal that the lateral etch rate (or undercut) is critically determined by the effective concentration of atomic F.
Finally, we observed that CF3Cl has a clear anisotropic mechanism of etch.
- J. W. Coburn and H. F. Winters:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. 16 (1979) 391[AIP Scitation].
- K. M. Eisele: J. Electrochem. Soc. 128 (1981) 123.
- G. C. Schwartz and P. M. Schaible:
J. Vac. Sci & Technol. 16 (1979) 410[AIP Scitation].
- G. C. Schwartz, L. B. Rothman and T. J. Schopen: J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 464.
- J. A. Bondur: J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 226.
- H. W. Lehmann and R. Widmer:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. 15 (1978) 319[AIP Scitation].
- B. Chapman: Glow Discharge Processes. Sputtering and Plasma Etching (New York, N. Y., 1980).
- C. J. Mogab: J. Electrochem. Soc. 124 (1977) 1262.
- H. F. Winters, J. W. Coburn and E. Kay:
J. Appl. Phys. 48 (1977) 4973[AIP Scitation].
- C. J. Mogab, A. C. Adams and D. L. Flamm:
J. Appl. Phys. 49 (1978) 3796[AIP Scitation].
- C. J. Mogab and H. J. Levinstein:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. 17 (1980) 721[AIP Scitation].
- P. L. Villa: Elettron. Oggi 1 (1982) 156.
- T. Makino, H. Nakamura and M. Asano: J. Electrochem. Soc. 128 (1981) 103.
- M. Oda and K. Hirata:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 19 (1980) L405[JSAP].
- G. R. Govinda Raju and R. Hackam:
J. Appl. Phys. 52 (1981) 3912[AIP Scitation].
- A. T. Bell: Techniques and Applications of Plasma Chemistry, eds. J. R. Hollahan and A. T. Bell (John Wiley & Sons, 1974) Chap. 1.
- V. M. Donnelly and D. L. Flamm: Solid State Technol. 24 (1981) 161.
- A. C. Adams and C. D. Capio: J. Electrochem. Soc. 128 (1981) 366.