Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 23 (1984) pp. L901-L903 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (622K)| |Buy This Article|
Random Distribution of Ga and Al Atoms in MBE Grown (Al0.5Ga0.5)As
Department of Applied Physics, Nagoya University
1National Institute for Physiological Sciences
(Received September 26, 1984; accepted for publication November 24, 1984)
The observation of diffuse scattering due to short-range order (SRO) between Al and Ga atoms in (Al0.5Ga0.5)As which were grown by molecular beam epitaxy, has been made using both electron and X-ray diffraction methods. Only diffuse streaks along the <110> directions were detected, the origin of which must be low frequency transverse acoustic phonons. The absence of SRO diffuse scattering is considered evidence of random distribution of Al and Ga atoms in this substance, consistent with the thermodynamical calculation by Onabe (K. Onabe, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1982) L323).
- B. E. Warren: X-Ray Diffraction (Addison-Weisley Publ., Reading Mass., (1967) p. 229.
- e.g., M. Sakata, N. Cowlam and H. A. Davies: J. Physique 41 (1980) 190.
- e.g. P. Chienx & H. Ruppersberg: J. Physique 41C8 (1980) 145.
- R. A. Logan and F. K. Reinhart:
J. Appl. Phys. 44 (1973) 4172[AIP Scitation].
- G. Honjo, S. Kodera and N. Kitamura: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 19 (1964) 351.
- J. Harada & G. Honjo: Int. Conf. on Electron Diffraction and Crystal Defects (Australian Academy of Science, Melbourne, 1965) IM-1.
- G. H. Narayanan and S. M. Copley: Phys. Stat. Sol. a23 (1974) 123.
- K. Komatsu & K. Teramoto: Int. Conf on Electron Diffraction and Crystal Defects (Australian Academy of Science, Melbourne, 1965) IM-2.
- K. Komatsu & K. Teramoto: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 21 (1966) 1152.
- K. Onabe:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1982) L323[JSAP].
- K. Onabe: NEC Res. & Devel. No. 72 (1984) 1.
- M. B. Panish and M. Ilegems: Progress in Solid State Chemistry (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1972) Vol. 7. p. 39.