Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 24 (1985) pp. L460-L462 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (961K)| |Buy This Article|
Microstructure of CoCr Thin Films Prepared by Sputtering
Central Research Laboratory, Hitachi Ltd.
(Received April 24, 1985; accepted for publication May 25, 1985)
The microstructure and the growth process of sputter deposited CoCr thin films are studied by transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The columnar structure of c-axis oriented CoCr grains is well established at a greater film thickness of about 100 nm. The cross-sectional TEM clearly shows the detailed structure of the initial growth layer, where the c-axis oriented grains are growing in size with increasing distance from the substrate surface. The necessity of controlling the nucleation of CoCr crystal grains at an early stage of film growth is stressed to further improve the c-axis orientation of the film.
- S. Iwasaki: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-15 (1979) 1456.
- S. Iwasaki, N. Nakamura and K. Ouchi: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-16 (1980) 71.
- Tu. Chen, C. B. Charlan and T. Yamashita:
J. Appl. Phys. 54 (1983) 5103[AIP Scitation].
- J. C. Lodder, T. Wielinga and J. Worst: Thin Solid Films 101 (1983) 61.
- T. Wielinga, J. C. Lodder and J. Worst: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-18 (1982) 1107.
- J. W. Smits, S. B. Luitjens and F. J. A. den Broeder:
J. Appl. Phys. 55 (1984) 2260[AIP Scitation].
- H. S. Gill and T. Yamashita: IEEE Trans Magn. MAG-20 (1984) (1984) 776.
- M. Sagoi, R. Nishikawa and T. Suzuki: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-20 (1984) 2019.
- E. R. Wuori and J. H. Judy: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-20 (1984) 774.
- J. A. Thompson and P. B. Mee: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-20 (1984) 785.
- S. Kadokura and M. Naoe: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-18 (1982) 1113.
- W. G. Haines: IEEE Trans. Magn. MAG-20 (1984) 812.