Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26 (1987) pp. L1787-L1789 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (417K)| |Buy This Article|
Giant Electroclinic Effect in Chiral Smectic A Phase of Ferroelectric Liquid Crystals
Tokyo Institute of Technology, Department of Organic and Polymeric Materials
(Received August 24, 1987; accepted for publication October 14, 1987)
A giant electroclinic effect was observed in smectic A (SA) phases of various ferroelectric liquid crystals with spontaneous polarizations as large as several hundred µC/m2. An induced tilt angle increased linearly with an electric field, E, and tended to saturate toward 16° . The induced tilt angle of a few degrees was observable even at a temperature 20° above the SA-SC* transition. It was confirmed using several compounds that the induced tilt angle is proportional to the spontaneous polarization in SC*. The response time is less than 1 µs and, when normalized by the induced tilt angle, linearly depends on E, i.e., τ'/θ0∝E.
- R. B. Meyer, L. Liebert, L. Strzelecki and P. Keller: J. Phys. Lett. (France) 36 (1975) 69.
- L. J. Yu, H. Lee, C. S. Bak and M. M. Labes:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 36 (1976) 388[APS].
- P. Pieranski, E. Guyon and P. Keller: J. Phys. (France) 36 (1975) 1005.
- P. Pieranski, E. Guyon, P. Keller, L. Liebert, W. Kuczynski and P. Pieranski: Mol. Cryst. & Liq. Cryst. 38 (1977) 275.
- S. Garoff and R. B. Meyer:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 38 (1977) 848[APS].
- S. Garoff and R. B. Mayer:
Phys. Rev. A19 (1979) 338[APS].
- H. Takezoe, K. Furuhata, T. Nakagiri, A. Fukuda and E. Kuze:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 17 (1978) 1219[JSAP].
- S. Kimura, S. Nishiyama, Y. Ouchi, H. Takezoe and A. Fukuda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26 (1987) L255[JSAP].
- K. Yosino, M. Ozaki, T. Sakurai, K. Sakamoto and M. Honma:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 23 (1984) L175[JSAP].
- K. Ishikawa, K. Hashimoto, H. Takezoe, A. Fukuda and E. Kuze:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 23 (1984) L211[JSAP].