Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) pp. 2404-2408 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1089K)| |Buy This Article|
Application of a Frame Transfer-Type CCD as an X-ray Image Sensor
Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Osaka University
(Received July 30, 1988; accepted for publication October 22, 1988)
We report here the result of an application of a CCD for optical use in the several keV region at working temperature below -30degC. The CCD we used is a product of TI Japan Corporation of a frame transfer-type device. We could take X-ray images at energies of about 8 keV and 1.5 keV for various objects. We found that this device could yield sufficient information for a two dimensional image down to individual pixel size (11.5×27 µm). We measured the pulse height distribution of X-rays of the 2–8 keV region in a photon counting mode. The energy resolution was kept constant about 400 eV (FWHM) by picking up the events absorbed in the depletion layer (about 3 µm).
- K. Yamamoto, S. Yamaguchi and Y. Terada: IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-32 (1985) 438.
- Y. Suzuki, K. Hayakawa, K. Usami, T. Hirano, T. Endoh and Y. Okamura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) 420[JSAP].
- E. G. Chowanietz, H. H. Lumb and A. A. Wells: SPIE, X-ray Instrumentation in Astronomy 597 (1985) 381.
- G. P. Garmire, D. Burrows, C. Canizares, G. Clark, S. A. Collins, E. Feigelson, J. Morrison, J. Nousek, S. H. Pravdo, S. A. Rappaport, G. Ricker, G. R. Riegler and Weedman: SPIE, X-ray Instrumentation in Astronomy 597 (1985) 261.
- H. Tsunemi, K. Mizukata and M. Hiramatsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) 670[JSAP].
- K. Mizukata and H. Tsunemi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) 2015[JSAP].
- R. A. Stern and J. R. Janesick:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 54 (1983) 198[AIP Scitation].
- J. Janesick, T. Elliott, S. Collins, T. Daud, D. Campbell, A. Dingizian and G. Garmire: SPIE, X-ray Instrumentation in Astronomy 597 (1985) 364.
- J. P. Doty, G. A. Luppino and G. R. Ricker:
Opt. Eng. 26 (1987) 1055[AIP Scitation].
- G. A. Luppino, N. M. Ceglio, J. P. Doty, G. R. Ricker and J. V. Vallerga:
Opt. Eng. 26 (1987) 1048[AIP Scitation].