Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) pp. L2401-L2403 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (611K)| |Buy This Article|
Diffusion Barrier with Reactively Sputtered TiN for Thermally Stable Contact
Central Research Laboratories, Sharp Corporation
(Received September 26, 1988; accepted for publication November 9, 1988)
The barrier capability of reactively sputtered TiN thin films was investigated in W/TiN/Si structures. During high-temperature annealing, a thin layer was formed at the interface between TiN and Si. This phenomenon is due to the oxygen combining with Ti in the TiN film and slight diffusion of Ti and Si atoms. The film properties of this TiN, especially film resistivity, were greatly affected by the oxygen impurities which combined with the Ti. This seems to be one of the reasons why a high-temperature annealing barrier capability was obtained. The ohmic contacts to n+ and p+ Si in this structure were maintained even after annealing at 900°C for 6 hours by performing an additional 31P+ and 11B+ implantation into W.
KEYWORDS:diffusion barrier, reactive sputtering, titanium nitride, ohmic contact, multilevel interconnection
- K. Mitsuhashi, K. Shiozaki, O. Yamazaki, K. Ohtake and M. Koba: Dig. Tech. Papers, 1988 Symp. VLSI Technology, San Diego, 1988 (IEEE Inc., Piscataway, 1988) p. 71.
- K. Suguro, Y. Nakasaki, S. Shima, T. Yoshii, T. Moriya and H. Tango: Extended Abstracts 18th Int. Conf. on Solid State Devices & Materials, Tokyo, 1986 (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1986) p. 503.
- K. Suguro, Y. Nakasaki, S. Shima T. Yoshii, T. Moriya and H. Tango:
J. Appl. Phys. 62 (1987) 1265[AIP Scitation].
- O. Yamazaki, K. Mitsuhashi, K. Shiozaki, K. Ohtake and M. Koba: Extended Abstracts 5th Int. Workshop on Future Electron Devices, Three Dimensional Integration, Miyagi-Zao, 1988 (Research & Development Association for Future Electron Devices, Tokyo, 1988) p. 159.
- S. Kanamori:
Thin Solid Films 136 (1986) 195[CrossRef].
- C. Y. Ting and M. Wittmer: Thin Solid Films 96 (1982) 327.
- K. Mitsuhashi, O. Yamazaki, A. Inoue, T. Morita, K. Ohtake and M. Koba: Extended Abstracts 20th Int. Conf. on Solid State Devices & Materials, Tokyo, 1988 (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1988) p. 569.