Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) pp. L538-L541 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (655K)| |Buy This Article|
Large Anisotropy of the Upper Critical Magnetic Field in Single Crystal Bi-(Sr, Ca)-Cu-O
(Received February 26, 1988; accepted for publication March 26, 1988)
Single crystals of a recently discovered high-Tc Bi-(Sr, Ca)-Cu-O compound have been obtained. EPMA analysis exhibited that the compositional ratio of the crystal is 2-3-2. X-ray diffraction and transmission electron diffraction analysis revealed that the crystal has a layered structure characterized by orthorhombic symmetry with the lattice constant a=5.405 Å, b=5a and c=30.69 Å. The upper critical magnetic field Hc2 has been measured for the superconducting single crystal. The anisotropy between the c-axis and the basal plane is much larger than that of Ba2YCu3O7-y or (La1-xSrx)2CuO4-y. The slope of temperature dependence of Hc2 along the c-axis is -0.32 T/K, while that along the basal plane is -14±3 T/K. The coherence length along the c-axis is estimated to be 1.0±0.1 Å, and that in the basal plane is 42 Å. The anisotropy factor is 44±9. These values suggest that the two-dimensionality in electronic structure for this superconductor is much stronger than other high-Tc oxides.
J. G. Bednorz and K. A. Mullen Z. Phys. B64 (1986) 189[CrossRef].
- M. K. Wu, J. R. Ashburn, C. J. Torng, P. H. Hor, R. I. Meng, L. Gao, Z. J. Hung, Y. Q. Wang and C. W. Chu:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (1987) 908[APS].
- G. Shirane, Y. Endoh, R. J. Birgeneau, M. A. Kastner, Y. Hidaka, M. Oda, M. Suzuki, T. Murakami:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 59 (1987) 1613[APS].
- H. Maeda, Y. Tanaka, M. Fukutomi and T. Asano:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L209[JSAP].
- E. Takayama-Muromachi, Y. Uchida, A. Ono, F. Izumi, M. Onoda, Y. Matsui, K. Kosuda, S. Takekawa and K. Kato:to be submitted.
- J. M. Tarascon, Y. Le Page, P. Barboux, B. G. Bagley, L. H. Greene, W. R. Mckinnon, G. W. Hull, M. Giroud and D. M. Hwang: submitted to Phys. Rev. Feb. 11 (1988).
- Y. Hidaka, M. Oda, M. Suzuki, A. Katsui, T. Murakami, N. Kobayashi and Y. Muto: Physica 148B (1987) 329.
- M. Suzuki, Y. Enomoto, K. Moriwaki and T. Murakami:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26 (1987) L1921[JSAP].
- P. W. Anderson, G. Baskaran, Z. Zou and T. Hsu:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (1987) 2790[APS].