Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) pp. L1209-L1212 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (553K)| |Buy This Article|
A New Ion Counting System Devised for Mass-Selective Detection of Sputtered Neutrals in Laser SNMS
1Nagoya Institute of Technology
2Hamamatsu Photonics, K.K.
(Received April 19, 1990; accepted for publication June 13, 1990)
A new ion counting system was devised for time-of-flight mass detection in sputtered neutral mass spectrometry (SNMS), using a pulse laser for postionization. A microchannel plate (MCP) intensifier used as a detector was gated by a retarding grid in front of the MCP for particular masses. High peak-counting ability (exceeding 1010 counts per second) of the system for ionization with a laser pulse (20–30 ns) was maintained for mass-selective detection. The performance of the new counting system at a high count rate was analyzed, and the detection limit and the accuracy were discussed.
- H. Oechsner: Nucl. Instrum. & Methods B33 (1988) 918.
- J. B. Pallix, K. T. Gillen and C. H. Becker: Nucl. Instrum. & Methods B33 (1988) 912.
- H. Shimizu, H. Hashizume, S. Ichimura and K. Kokubun:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L502[JSAP].
- J. Tuempner, R. Wilsch and A. Benninghoven: J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A5 (1987) 1186.
- R. Jede, H. Peters, G. Duennebier, O. Ganschow, U. Kaiser and K. Seifert: J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A6 (1988) 2271.
- H. Gnaser, J. Fleischhauer and W. O. Hofer: Appl. Phys. A37 (1985) 211.
- K. Kokubun, S. Ichimura, H. Hashizume, H. Shimizu, Y. Owadano, Y. Matsumoto and K. Endo:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L2271[JSAP].
- S. Ichimura, K. Goto, K. Kokubun, H. Shimizu and H. Hashizume:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 61 (1990) 1192[AIP Scitation].