Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) pp. L157-L159 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (666K)| |Buy This Article|
Simultaneous Observation of Atomically Resolved AFM/STM Images of a Graphite Surface
Department of Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Iwate University
1Research Institute of Electrical Communication, Tohoku University
(Received September 25, 1989; accepted for publication December 6, 1989)
We constructed an AFM/STM system with a conductive lever. We applied this system to the observation of a graphite surface in air. As a result, for the first time, atomically resolved AFM and STM images were obtained simultaneously, and it was found that the lattice pattern appearing in the AFM image was different from that in the STM image. In both AFM and STM images, distortion of lattice periodicity due to frictional effect was observed.
- G. Binnig, C. F. Quate and Ch. Gerber:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 56 (1986) 930[APS].
- O. Marti, B. Drake and P. K. Hansma:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 51 (1987) 484[AIP Scitation].
- G .Binnig, H. Rohrer, Ch. Gerber and C. D. Chen:
Phys. Rev. B 31 (1985) 2602[APS].
- S. Morita, T. Ishizaka, Y. Sugawara, T. Okada, S. Mishima, S. Imai and N. Mikoshiba:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L1634[JSAP].
- T. Ishizaka, S. Morita, Y. Sugawara, T. Okada, S. Mishima, S. Imai and N. Mikoshiba: to be published in Proc. 4th Int. Conf. STM/STS, Ōarai, 1989, J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A 8 (1990) No. 1.
- T. R. Albrecht and C. F. Quate: J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A 6 (1988) 271.
- C. M. Mate, R. Erlandsson, G. M. McClelland and S. Chiang: Surf. Sci. 208 (1988) 473.
- D. Tomanek, S. G. Louie, H. M. Mamin, D. W. Abraham, R. E. Thomson, E. Ganz and J. Clarke:
Phys. Rev. B 35 (1987) 7790[APS].
- I. P. Batra and S. Ciraci: J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A 6 (1988) 313.
- E. Meyer, H. Heinzelmann, P. Grütter, Th. Jung, Th. Weisskopf, H.-R. Hidber, R. Lapka, H. Rudin and H.-J. Güntherodt: J. Microscopy 152 (1988) 269.