Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) pp. L2261-L2263 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (419K)| |Buy This Article|
Noncentrosymmetric Langmuir-Blodgett Film of Phenylpyrazine Derivative Applicable to Nonlinear Waveguides
Department of Materials Science and Technology, Graduate School of Engineering Sciences, Kyushu University
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Kyushu University
(Received September 6, 1990; accepted for publication November 5, 1990)
Thick noncentrosymmetric LB films of more than 200 bilayers (thickness of more than 1 µm) were successfully fabricated with an alternating deposition of a phenylpyrazine derivative and arachidic acid monolayers. The alternating LB films were transparent from visible to near infrared region. Spectroscopic and X-ray diffraction studies on the alternating LB films proved that molecules were predominantly oriented normal to the film plane in the LB film. Further, the quadratic dependence of second-harmonic (SH) intensity on film thickness was confirmed in the LB films in the wide range of thickness from 1 to 200 bilayers. From the SH generation measurement, the alternating LB films were found to have fairly large second-order nonlinear susceptibility, which was estimated to be 1×10-7 esu.
KEYWORDS:phenylpyrazine, noncentrosymmetric Langmuir-Blodgett film, nonlinear optics, second-harmonic generation
- D. J. Williams: Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Eng. 23 (1984) 690.
- D. S. Chemla and J. Zyss: Nonlinear Optical Properties of Organic Molecules and Crystals (Academic Press, Orland, 1987) Vol. 1, Chap. II-2, p. 193.
- G. W. Smith, M. F. Daniel, J. W. Barton and N. Ratdiffe: Thin Solid Films 132 (1985) 125.
- R. H. Tredgold, M. C. J. Young, R. Jones, P. Hodge, P. Kolinsky and R. J. Jones:
Electron. Lett. 24 (1988) 308[AIP Scitation].
- M. Era, K. Nakamura, T. Iwamoto, T. Tsutsui, S. Saito, H. Niino, K. Takehara, K. Isomura and H. Taniguchi: Nippon Kagaku Kaishi 1990 (1990) 1106 [in Japanese].
- T. Kamata, J. Umemura, T. Takenaka, K. Takehara, K. Isomura and H. Taniguchi: Thin Solid Films 178 (1989) 427.
- M. G. Kuzyk, K. D. Singer, H. E. Zahn and L. A. King: J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 6 (1989) 742.
- D. Lupo, W. Prass, U. Scheunumann, A. Laschewsky, H. Ringsdorf and I. Ledoux: J. Opt Soc. Am. B 5 (1988) 300.