Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) pp. 3710-3714 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (647K)| |Buy This Article|
Low-Temperature Operation of Polycrystalline Silicon Thin-Film Transistors
Research Center for Integrated Systems, Hiroshima University, 1-4-2 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima 724
1Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, 3333 Coyote Hill Road, Palo Alto, CA 94304, U.S.A.
(Received September 10, 1991; accepted for publication November 16, 1991)
The influences of the grain boundary traps on poly-Si TFT (thin-film transistor) device characteristics were evaluated in detail by examining the low-temperature device characteristics. It was found that the absolute value of threshold voltage significantly increases and the field-effect mobility considerably decreases at low temperature because the influences of the grain boundary traps become more pronounced. As a result, the drain current is strikingly reduced specifically in n-channel TFTs when the temperature is decreased. Meanwhile, the kink effect is suppressed at low temperature due to the increased influences of the grain boundary traps. The hydrogenation treatment mitigated the drain current reduction at low temperature and enhanced the kink effect.
KEYWORDS:poly-Si TFT, low-temperature operation, hydrogenation treatment, grain boundary trap, kink effect
- A. G. Lewis, I-W Wu, T. Y. Huang, A. Chiang and R. H. Bruce: IEDM Technical Digest, San Francisco, 1990, p. 843.
- S. Takenaka, M. Kunii, H. Oka and H. Kurihara: Extended Abstract of the 22nd (1990 Int.) Conf. on Solid State Devices and Materials, Sendai (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1990) p. 955.
- S. Ikeda, S. Hashiba, I. Kuramoto, H. Katoh, S. Ariga, T. Yamanaka, T. Hashimoto, N. Hashimoto and S. Meguro: IEDM Technical Digest, San Francisco, 1990, p. 469.
- M. Koyanagi, I-Wei Wu, A. G. Lewis, M. Fuse and R. Bruce: IEDM Technical Digest, San Francisco, 1990, p. 863.
- S. Yamada S. Yokoyama and M. Koyanagi: IEDM Technical Digest, San Francisco, 1990, p. 859.