Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) pp. 3911-3919 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1085K)| |Buy This Article|
Quantum Mechanical Transmission and Reflection of Quasi-Particles at Arbitrary Potential Barriers in the Superconducting Base Transistor
Functional Materials Research Center, SANYO Electric Co., Ltd, 1-18-13 Hashiridani, Hirakata, Osaka 573
(Received September 3, 1991; accepted for publication October 19, 1991)
We propose a systematic method for calculating the quasi-particle transmission, T, and reflection, R, probabilities at the arbitrary potential barrier, by using multistep potential approximation. T and R were calculated from first principles using the Bogoliubov equations of motion. For the N/I/S emitter-base tunneling junction and base-collector heterojunction in the superconducting base transistor, T and R were computed as functions of quasi-particle energy, potential barrier height and width. In the case of the YBCO/n-InGaAs base-collector heterojunction with a Schottky barrier height of 70 meV, it was found that T was greater than 0.5. This suggests that a combination of YBCO and n-InGaAs is suitable for use in the base-collector heterojunction of a superconducting base transistor. We also show I-V curves for the N/I/S tunneling junction.
- D. J. Frank, M. J. Brady and A. Davidson: IEEE Trans. Magn 21 (1985) 721.
- T. Yamamoto, H. Suzuki, T. Usuki and Y. Yoshisato: IEICE Trans. E74 (1991) 1993.
- T. Yamamoto, H. Suzuki, Y. Yoshisato and S. Nakano: Advances in Superconductivity III, eds. K. Kajimura and H. Hayakawa (Springer-Verlag, Tokyo, 1991) p. 1235.
- J. Demers and A. Griffin: Can. J. Phys. 49 (1971) 285.
- A. Griffin and J. Demers:
Phys. Rev. B4 (1971) 2202[APS].
- G. E. Blonder, M. Tinkam and T. M. Klapwijk:
Phys. Rev. B25 (1982) 4515[APS].
- P. G. De Gennes: Superconductiviry of Metals and Alloys (W. A. Benjamin, New York, 1966).
- Y. Ando and T. Itoh:
J. Appl. Phys. 61 (1987) 1497[AIP Scitation].
- A. F. Andreev: Sov. Phys. JETP 19 (1964) 1228.
- C. R. Crowell and S. M. Sze: J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1966) 2683.
- H. Tamura, A. Yoshida, S. Muto and S. Hasuo:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 26 (1987) L7[JSAP].