Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) pp. L322-L325 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (689K)| |Buy This Article|
Universal Passivation Effect of (NH4)2Sx Treatment on the Surface of III-V Compound Semiconductors
Institute of Materials Science, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305
1NTT Applied Electronics Laboratories, Musashino, Tokyo 180
(Received November 17, 1990; accepted for publication January 19, 1991)
The effectiveness of (NH4)2Sx treatment on the (100) surface of GaP, (Al, Ga)As, InP and InAs was studied in comparison to that on GaAs by means of Auger electron spectroscopy (AES) and reflection high-energy electron diffraction (RHEED). It was concluded that the existence of sulfur atoms bonded to semiconductors prevents the adsorption of oxygen. This phenomenon brings about the metal-dependent Schottky barrier fabricated on the (NH4)2Sx-treated surfaces, implying the reduction in the interface state density. The structure and effect of the (NH4)2Sx-treated surface of III-V compounds are qualitatively the same.
KEYWORDS:(NH4)2Sx treatment, III-V compound semiconductors, Schottky barrier height, surface structure analysis
- C. J. Sandroff, R. N. Nottenburg, J. C. Bischoff and R. Bhat:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 51 (1987) 33[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Nannichi, J. Fan, H. Oigawa and A. Koma:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L2367[JSAP].
- H. Oigawa, J. Fan, Y. Nannichi, K. Ando, K. Saiki andA. Koma: Extended Abstracts 20th Conf. Solid State Devices & Materials, Tokyo, 1988 (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1988) p. 263.
- J. Fan, H. Oigawaand Y. Nannichi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L2125[JSAP].
- J. Fan, H. Oigawa and Y. Nannichi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L1331[JSAP].
- J. Fan, Y. Kurata and Y. Nannichi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L2255[JSAP].
- H. Sugahara, M. Oshima, H. Oigawa, H. Shigekawa and Y. Nannichi: Extended Abstracts 21st Conf. Solid State Devices & Materials, Tokyo, 1989 (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1989) p. 547.
- H. Oigawa, J. Fan, Y. Nannichi, K. Ando, K. Saiki and A. Koma:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L340[JSAP].
- O. Kubaschewski and C. B. Alcock: Metallurgical Thermochemistry (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1979) 5th ed.