Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) pp. 2925-2930 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (826K)| |Buy This Article|
Reaction Mechanism of Chemical Vapor Deposition Using Tetraethylorthosilicate and Ozone at Atmospheric Pressure
Central Research Laboratory, Mitsubishi Electric Corp., 8-1-1 Tsukaguchi Honmachi, Amagasaki, Hyogo 661
(Received April 22, 1992; accepted for publication July 18, 1992)
The decomposition process of tetraethylorthosilicate (TEOS) and ozone at atmospheric pressure was measured in a closed vessel by in-situ Fourier-transform infrared absorption (FT-IR) analysis, and the changes of the deposition rate and the overall sticking probability β of the film precursor were obtained along the flow direction in a flow-type reactor. It has been found that the film precursors are formed by TEOS decomposition with O-atoms and/or ozone in the gas phase, and that CH3CHO may be the first product, followed by the oxidation to CO2 and H2O via HCHO. It is also shown that the film quality changes along the flow direction, that is, O-H bonds in the film decrease and the β-value increases as the reaction proceeds. These results may show that there are several kinds of precursors, and the sticky (unstable) precursors become dominant in the later stages.
- A. C. Adams and C. D. Capio: J. Electrochem. Soc. 126 (1979) 1042.
- R. H. Vogel, S. R. Butler and F. J. Feigel: J. Electron. Mater. 14 (1985) 329.
- M. Matsuura, Y. Hayashide, H. Kotani and H. Abe:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) 1530[JSAP].
- H. Kotani, M. Matsuura, A. Fujii, H. Genjou and S. Nagao: Dig. Int. Electron Devices Meeting, Washington D.C., 1989 (IEEE, New York, 1989) p. 669.
- M. Matsuura, H. Kotani and H. Abe: Extended Abstract 22nd Conf. Solid State Devices & Materials, Sendai, 1990 (Business Center for Academie Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1990) p. 239.
- Y. Nishimoto, N. Tokumasu, T. Fukuyama and K. Maeda: Extended Abstract 22nd Conf. Solid State Devices & Materials, Sendai, 1990 (Business Center for Academie Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1990) p. 447.
- K. Fujino, Y. Nishimoto, N. Tokumasu and K. Maeda: J. Electrochem. Soc. 137 (1990) 2883.
- T. Kawahara, A. Yuuki and Y. Matsui:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) 431[JSAP].
- Sadtler Standard Infrared Vapor Phase Spectra (Sadtler Research Laboratories, INC., Philadelphia, 1978) Vol. 4.
- S. B. Desu: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 72 (1989) 1615.
- A. Yuuki, Y. Matsui and K. Tachibana:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) 212[JSAP].
- L. L. Vasil'eva and S. N. Nesterova: Kinet. Catal. 25 (1984) 904.
- S. W. Benson and A. E. Axworthy, Jr.:
J. Chem. Phys. 26 (1957) 1718[AIP Scitation].
- W. B. Demore: Int. J. Chem. Kinet. 1 (1969) 209.
- T. Matsuda, N. Hayasaka and H. Okano. Proc. Symp. Dry Process, Tokyo, 1989 (The Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, Tokyo, 1989) p. 163.
- H. Yabe, A. Yuuki and Y. Matsui:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) 2873[JSAP].
- H. J. Kim, Y. Egashira and H. Komiyama: Kagaku Kogaku Ronbunshu 17 (1991) 1175 [in Japanese].
- R. Atkinson and R. J. Cvetanovic:
J. Chem. Phys. 56 (1972) 432[AIP Scitation].