Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) pp. 1298-1302 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (785K)| |Buy This Article|
Microwave Ion Source Using Resonant Cavity
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560
(Received October 9, 1992; accepted for publication January 23, 1993)
Ring-cusped magnetic-field ion sources using 2.45-GHz-microwave resonant cavities were studied to develop high-performance compact ion sources for economically assisting material processings. The minimum flow rate required to sustain discharge was 10 sccm for weak-B-field off-resonance discharge in the TM011-mode-excitation cylindrical cavity, 6 sccm for weak-B-field discharge in the reentrant coaxial cavity, in which a stronger electric field was generated compared with that in the cylindrical cavity, and 3 sccm for electron cyclotron resonance (ECR) discharge in the cylindrical cavity. As a result of ion beam extraction, the highest mass utilization efficiency of 18.7% was achieved for ECR discharge.
- H. Tahara, Y. Tanaka, K. Onoe and T. Yoshikawa: Proc. 20th Int. Electric Propulsion Conf., Garmisch-Partenkirchen, W. Germany, 1988 (German Society for Aeronautics and Astronautics, Bonn, 1988) Paper 88-103, p. 575.
- H. Tahara, T. Tanaka, M. Abuku, T. Yasui, K. Onoe, T. Yoshikawa, M. Ishii and M. Ito: Oyo Buturi 58 (1989) 1501 [in Japanese].
- H. Tahara, Y. Tanaka, M. Abuku, T. Yasui, K. Onoe and T. Yoshikawa: Trans. IEE Jpn. 109-A (1989) 553 [in Japanese].
- N. Sakudo, K. Tokiguchi, H. Koike and I. Kanomata:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 48 (1977) 762[AIP Scitation].
- T. Roppel, D. K. Reinhard and J. Asmussen:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. B 4 (1986) 295[AIP Scitation].
- M. Dahimene, L. Mahoney and J. Asmussen: AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) Paper 87-1015, 1987.
- H. Tahara, M. Abuku, T. Yasui, K. Onoe and T. Yoshikawa: AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) Paper 90-2633, 1990.
- H. Tahara, S. Miyama, K. Minami, K. Onoe and T. Yoshikawa: Proc. 9th Symp. Plasma Processing, Fukuoka, 1992 (Division of Plasma Electronics, Japan Society of Applied Physics, Tokyo, 1992) p. 99.
- M. Dahimene and J. Asmussen:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. B 4 (1986) 126[AIP Scitation].
- J. Asmussen:
J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. A 7 (1989) 883[AIP Scitation].