Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) pp. L1117-L1119 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (603K)| |Buy This Article|
Arsenic Pressure Dependence of the Surface Diffusion in Molecular Beam Epitaxy on (111)B-(001) Mesa-Etched GaAs Substrates Studied by In Situ Scanning Microprobe Reflection High-Energy Electron Diffraction
Department of Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113
(Received May 24, 1993; accepted for publication June 19, 1993)
The arsenic pressure dependence of surface diffusion of Ga adatoms in molecular beam epitaxy (MBE) on (111)B-(001) mesa-etched substrates was investigated by means of in situ scanning microprobe reflection high-energy electron diffraction (µ-RHEED). It was observed for the first time that the direction of Ga adatom migration from or to the (111)B sidewall is changed depending on the arsenic pressure. Furthermore, the diffusion length of Ga adatoms on the (001) surface along the  direction was found to vary with arsenic pressures exponentially; however, it was independent of the direction of lateral migration. The diffusion length of Ga adatoms on the (001) surface along the  direction varied from about 0.25 µm to 1.2 µm at 600°C within our arsenic pressure range. This suggests that the lifetime of Ga adatoms before incorporation into the crystal on each surface depends strongly on arsenic pressure.
KEYWORDS:molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), arsenic pressure dependence, surface diffusion, lateral flux, incorporating time
- M. Hata, T. Isu, A. Watanabe and Y. Katayama:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 56 (1990) 2542[AIP Scitation].
- M. Hata, T. Isu, A. Watanabe and Y. Katayama: J. Vac. Sci. & Technol. B8 (1990) 692.
- M. Hata, A. Watanabe and T. Isu:
J. Cryst. Growth 111 (1991) 83[CrossRef].
- T. Isu, M. Hata, Y. Morishita, Y. Nomura, S. Goto and Y. Katayama: J. Cryst. Growth 120 (1992) 45.
- S. Nilsson, E. Van Gieson, D. J. Arent, H. P. Meier, W. Walter and T. Forster:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 55 (1989) 972[AIP Scitation].
- F. S. Turco, S. Simhony, K. Kash, D. M. Hwang, T. S. Ravi, E. Kapon and M. C. Tamargo: J. Cryst. Growth 104 (1990) 766.
- S. Koshiba, Y. Nakamura, T. Noda and H. Sakaki: Proc. 3rd Topical Meet. on Cryst. Growth Mech. (The Office of Scientific Research on Priority Areas “Crystal Growth Mechanism in Atomic Scale”, The Univ. Tokyo, 1992) p. 233.
- E. Kapon, M. C. Tamargo and D. M. Hwang:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 50 (1987) 347[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Nakayama, S. Koshiba, M. Tsuchiya, H. Kano and H. SaKaki:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 59 (1991) 700[AIP Scitation].
- X. Q. Shen, M. Tanaka and T. Nishinaga:
J. Cryst. Growth 127 (1993) 932[CrossRef].
- T. A. Flaim and P. E. Ownby: J. Vacuum Sci. & Technol. 8 (1971) 661.
- C. E. C. Wood, D. Desimone, K. Singer and G. W. Wicks:
J. Appl. Phys. 53 (1982) 4230[AIP Scitation].
- T. Nishinaga and T. Suzuki: J. Cryst. Growth 115 (1991) 398.