Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 33 (1994) pp. 1472-1477 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1171K)| |Buy This Article|
Roles of Buffer Layers in Epitaxial Growth of SrTiO3 Films on Silicon Substrates
Precision and Intelligence Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuda, Midori-ku, Yokohama 227
(Received August 19, 1993; accepted for publication December 18, 1993)
Heteroepitaxial growth of SrTiO3 (STO) films with and without buffer layers on Si(100) and (111) substrates has been conducted by a focused electron beam evaporation method. It has been found that thin metallic layers such as Ti and Sr are effective for improving the quality of overgrown STO films, which is probably due to the fact that the metallic layers deoxidize the surface SiO2 layers on Si substrates. It has also been found that a Sr buffer layer is effective for obtaining fairly good epitaxial films on both Si(100) and (111) substrates, while a Ti buffer layer is effective for obtaining good electrical properties of the film and interface.
- R. O. Bell and G. Rupprecht:
Phys. Rev. 129 (1963) 90[APS].
- T. Sakuma, S. Yamamichi, S. Matsubara, H. Yamaguchi and Y. Miyasaka:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 57 (1990) 2431[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Miyasaka and S. Matsubara: Proc. 7th Int. Symp. Applications of Ferroelectrics, Illinois, 1990 (IEEE, New York, 1991) p. 121.
- O. N. Tufte and P. W. Chapman:
Phys. Rev. 155 (1967) 796[APS].
- M. Ihara, Y. Arimoto, M. Jifuku, T. Kimura, S. Kodama, H. Yamawaki and T. Yamaoka: J. Electrochem. Soc. 129 (1982) 2569.
- H. Fukumoto, T. Imura, Y. Osaka and F. Nishiyama:
J. Appl. Phys. 66 (1989) 616[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Kado and Y. Arita: Ext. Abstr. 20th Int. Conf. Solid State Devices and Materials, Tokyo, 1988 (Business Center for Academic Societies Japan, Tokyo, 1988) p. 181.
- T. Inoue, Y. Yamamoto, S. Koyama, S. Suzuki and Y. Ueda:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 56 (1990) 1332[AIP Scitation].
- H. Mori and H. Ishiwara:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) L1415[JSAP].
- H. Ishiwara, N. Tsuji, H. Mori and H. Nohira:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 61 (1992) 1459[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Kado and Y. Arita:
J. Appl. Phys. 61 (1987) 2398[AIP Scitation].