Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 33 (1994) pp. 1899-1904 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1164K)| |Buy This Article|
Thermal Effect in a Lamp-Pumped Continuous-Wave Alexandrite Laser
Laser Section, Opto-Electronics Division, Electrotechnical Laboratory, 1-1-4 Umezono, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305
1Lamp Division, ORC Manufacturing Co., Ltd., 3-34-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu, Tokyo 182
(Received November 2, 1993; accepted for publication January 22, 1994)
Output-power saturation of a lamp-pumped continuous-wave alexandrite laser was observed. From the measurement of transient responses of the laser, it is found that the power saturation is due to a thermal effect. A model of the laser is introduced, which takes into account rod heating by laser reabsorption. Model analysis explains the saturated laser power and laser wavelengths that were measured under different rod-cooling conditions, output transmissions and pumping power.
- J. C. Walling, O. G. Peterson and R. C. Morris: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-16 (1980) 120.
- H. Samelson, J. C. Walling, T. Wernikowski and D. J. Harter: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-24 (1988) 1141.
- K. Torizuka, M. Yamashita and T. Yabiku: Conf. Laser and Electro-Optics, Anaheim, 1990, Tech. Dig., Conf. (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC, 1990) ed. CWF7, p. 254.
- W. Koechner: Solid-State Laser Engineering (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1988) 2nd ed., Chap. 6.
- R. E. Bonanno, D. J. Harter and O. Montoya: Top. Meet. Tunable Solid State Laser, Cape Cod, 1989, Tech. Dig., Conf. (Optical Society of America, Washington, DC, 1989) ed. TuA5-1 p. 100.
- K. Torizuka, M. Yamashita and T. Yabiku: to be published in Appl. Opt. 32 (1993).
- S. Imai and K. Yamagishi: Rev. Laser Eng. 13 (1985) 559 [in Japanese].
- A. Suchocki, G. D. Gilliland and R. C. Powell:
Phys. Rev. B 35 (1987) 5830[APS].
- M. L. Shand, J. C. Walling and H. P. Jenssen: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-18 (1982) 167.
- M. L. Shand and H. P. Jenssen: IEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-19 (1983) 480.
- M. L. Shand and J. C. Walling: JEEE J. Quantum Electron. QE-18 (1982) 452.