Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 33 (1994) pp. 2107-2112 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (2166K)| |Buy This Article|
Fabrication and Evaluation of Flexible Microgripper
Central Research Laboratory, Nikon Corporation, 1-6-3 Nishi-Ohi, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 140
(Received December 22, 1993; accepted for publication February 19, 1994)
A new concept of a microgripper using Lorentz force actuation and electrothermal bimorph actuation is presented here. Design, theoretical consideration, fabrication process and characterization results are presented. Many free-standing fingers, ranging from 200 µ m to 1000 µ m in length, have been fabricated successfully by the micromachining process. We have observed the low driving voltage performance and the flexible finger motion of the flexible microgripper (FMG) under the microscope. A 210 µ m deflection of a 1000-µm-long finger was obtained at the input voltage of 1 V.
- M. Mehregany, K. J. Gabriel and W. S. Trimmer:
IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 35 (1988) 719[CrossRef].
- L. Y. Chen, Z. L. Zhang, J. J. Yao, D. C. Thomas and N. C. MacDonald: Proc. IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems Workshop, Salt Lake City, 1990 (IEEE, Salt Lake City, 1990) p. 82.
- C. J. Kim, A. P. Pisano, R. S. Muller and M. G. Lim: Proc. IEEE Solid-State Sensors and Actuator Workshop, Hilton Head Island, 1990 (IEEE, Hilton Head Island, 1990) p. 48.
- C. J. Kim A. P. Pisano and R. S. Muller: J. Microelectromech. Syst. 1 (1992) 31.
- W. Beneke and W. Riethuller: Proc. IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems Workshop, Salt Lake City, 1989 (IEEE, Salt Lake City, 1989) p. 116.
- W. Riethuller and W. Benke:
IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 35 (1988) 758[CrossRef].
- S. P. Timoshenko: J. Opt. Soc. Am. 11 (1925) 233.
- S. P. Timoshenko:
Elements of Strength of Materials (Krieger, Malabar, 1984) through J. Vac. Sci. & Technol A 8 (1990) 3386[AIP Scitation].