Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) pp. 3153-3158 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1509K)| |Buy This Article|
Ferroelectric and Dielectric Characteristics of (Pb1-yLay)[Mg(x+2y)/3Nb(2x+y)/3Ti1-x-y]O3 Thin Films Prepared by RF Magnetron Sputtering
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.
(Received January 10, 1995; accepted for publication March 18, 1995)
Ferroelectric thin films having compositions of xPb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3+(1- x- y)PbTiO3+ yLa(Mg2/3Nb1/3)O3 (PLMNT) with x=0.37-0.78 and y=0.03-0.13 were prepared on Pt/Ti/SiO2/Si substrates by rf magnetron sputtering deposition at 520° C. Pure perovskite films were obtained for all compositions. The 0.5-µ m-thick films having a constant La(Mg2/3Nb1/3)O3 content of y=0.03 showed a ferroelectric-hysteresis characteristic with the remanent polarization and coercive field decreased from 8.5 µ C/cm2 and 46 kV/cm to 4.2 µ C/cm2 and 29 kV/cm, respectively, for changing the composition from x=0.645 to 0.78. Dielectric constant (k) of 1200-1300 and dielectric loss (tan
δ) less than 0.04 were also measured at 1 kHz. The temperature of dielectric peak decreased to near room temperature for an increase of Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3 content to x=0.78, which corresponded to a composition at the rhombohedral/cubic phase boundary of the PLMNT system. For films having composition lying along this phase boundary but containing La(Mg2/3Nb1/3)O3\geqslant7 mol%, the dielectric peak became much more broadened (flattened), which provided a good dielectric stability against variation of temperature. Good dielectric stability against frequency up to 1 MHz was also observed. The films also showed weak ferroelectric-hysteresis characteristic.
KEYWORDS:ferroelectric films, (Pb1-yLay)[Mg(x+2y)/3Nb(2x+y)/3Ti1-x-y]O3, sputtering deposition
- P. K. Larsen, R. Cuppens and G. A. C. M. Spierings: Ferroelectrics 128 (1992) 265.
- J. O. Olowolafe, R. E. Jones, Jr., A. C. Cambell, R. I. Hegde and C. J. Mogab:
J. Appl. Phys. 73 (1993) 1764[AIP Scitation].
- L. F. Francis and D. A. Payne:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 74 (1990) 3000[CrossRef].
- L. F. Francis and D. A. Payne: Ferroelectric Thin Films, eds. E. R. Myers and A. I. Kingon, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 200 (1990) 173.
- V. E. Wood, J. R. Busch, S. D. Ramamurthi and S. L. Swartz:
J. Appl. Phys. 71 (1992) 4557[AIP Scitation].
- K. Okuwada, M. Iami and K. Kakuno:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L1271[JSAP].
- L. F. Francis, Y. J. Oh and D. A. Payne:
J. Mater. Sci. 25 (1990) 5007[CrossRef].
- K. Okuwada, S. Nakamuda, M. Iami and K. Kakuno:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) 1553[JSAP].
- K. R. Udayakumar, J. Chen, P. J. Schuele, L. E. Cross, V. Kumar and S. B. Krupanidhi:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 60 (1992) 1187[AIP Scitation].
- J. Chen, Q. Zhang and L. E. Cross: Ferroelectric Thin Films III, eds. E. R. Myers, B. A. Tuttle, S. B. Desu and P. K. Larsen, Mater, Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 285 (1993) 421.
- M. C. Jiang, T. J. Hong and T. B. Wu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 33 (1994) 6301[JSAP].
- M. C. Jiang and T. B. Wu: J. Mater. Res. 9 (1994) 1879.
- L. J. Lin and T. B. Wu: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 76 (1991) 1360.
- L. J. Lin and T. B. Wu: Mater. Lett. 11 (1991) 222.
- M. C. Jiang, T. B. Wu and J. M. Wu: Mater. Chem. Phys. 38 (1994) 369.
- T. B. Wu, M. J. Shyu, C. C. Chung and H. Y. Lee: to be published by J. Am. Ceram. Soc.
- T. B. Wu, K. S. Liu and J. L. Chen: presented in ISAF'94, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA, Aug. 1994.
- C. A. Randall, A. S. Bhalla, T. R. Shrout and L. E. Cross: J. Mater. Res. 5 (1990) 829.
- H. B. Krause, J. M. Cowley and J. Whatley: Acta Crystallogr. A 35 (1979) 1015.
- N. de Mathan, E. Husson, P. Gancher and A. Morell: Mater. Res. Bull. 25 (1990) 427.
- J. Chen, H. M. Chan and M. P. Harmer:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 72 (1989) 593[CrossRef].
- L. J. Lin and T. B. Wu:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 73 (1990) 1253[CrossRef].