Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) pp. 3794-3797 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (638K)| |Buy This Article|
Fabrication of an Organic p-n Homojunction Diode Using Electrochemically Cation- and Photochemically Anion-Doped Polymer
Division of Material and Life Sciences, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, Hiroshima University, 1-7-1 Kagamiyama, Higashi-Hiroshima 739, Japan
(Received December 12, 1994; accepted for publication March 18, 1995)
An organic p-n homojunction has been successfully constructed in a single strip of poly(3-methylthiophene) (PMT) film by electrochemical cation doping on one side and photosensitized anion doping on the other side. The rectifying effect observed with the Al/(cation:anion)-doped PMT/Au cell provides evidence for the formation of a p-n homojunction in the PMT film since both Al/cation-doped PMT/Al and Au/anion-doped PMT/Au cells exhibit ohmic behavior. The formation of p-n homojunction can be inferred from measured work functions of the electrochemically cation-doped PMT, photochemically anion-doped PMT, Al and Au films. The p-n homojunction cell yields a short-circuit photocurrent of 0.16 µ A· cm-2, an open-circuit photovoltage of 0.23 V and a fill factor of 0.30. These voltaic and photovoltaic properties are found to be superior to those of the polymer diode based on a p-n junction made by pressure contact of the p-doped PMT film with the n-doped PMT film.
KEYWORDS:p-n homojunction, polymer diode, photosensitized doping, electrochemical doping, poly(3-methylthiophene), photosensitizer, photoactivity, work function, conductivity
- A. O. Patil, A. J. Heeger and F. Wudl: Chem. Rev. 88 (1988) 183.
- M. G. Kanatzidis: C & EN (1990) 54.
- C. Visy: J. Electroanal. Chem. 319 (1991) 85.
- A.-N. Chowdhury, Y. Kunugi, Y. Harima and K. Yamashita: submitted to Thin Solid Films.
- C. K. Chiang, S. C. Gau, C. R. Fincher, Jr., Y. W. Park, A. G. MacDiarmid and A. J. Heeger:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 33 (1978) 18[AIP Scitation].
- M. Aizawa, T. Yamada, H. Shinohara, K. Akagi and H. Shirakawa: J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. (1986) 1315.
- C. V. Krishnan and N. Sutin: J. Am. Chem. Soc. 103 (1981) 2141.
- K. Chandrasekaran and D. G. Whitten: J. Am. Chem. Soc. 102 (1980) 5119.
- H. Segawa, T. Shimidzu and K. Honda: J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. (1989) 132.
- R. J. Crutchley and A. B. P. Lever: J. Am. Chem. Soc. 102 (1980) 7128.
- B. Pettinger, H.-R. Schoppel and H. Gerischer: Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 80 (1976) 849.
- M. Onoda, Y. Manda, S. Morita and K. Yoshino: J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 59 (1990) 213.
- M. Onoda, S. Morita, T. Iwasa, H. Nakayama and K. Yoshino:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 1107[JSAP].