Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) pp. 5132-5135 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1331K)| |Buy This Article|
Structural Control of Epitaxially Grown Sputtered PbTiO3 Thin Films
Research Institute of Innovative Technology for the Earth, 9-2 Kizugawadai, Kizucho, Kyoto 619-02, Japan
^1Central Research Laboratories, Matsushita Electric Ind., Co., 3-4 Hikaridai, Seikacho, Kyoto 619-02, Japan
(Received May 8, 1995; accepted for publication June 19, 1995)
Microstructures of sputtered PbTiO3 films on SrTiO3 substrates have been studied. It is known that the epitaxial PbTiO3 films include microstructures. It was found that the formation of these microstructures was strongly influenced by the off-stoichiometry of the sputtered films and substrate surface microstructures. Sputtering under the stoichiometric condition on miscut (001)SrTiO3 led to the growth of ultrathin single-crystal PbTiO3 films 10-100 nm thick with continuous structure; under the off-stoichiometric condition the sputtered films comprised microstructures with screwlike dislocation. The ultrathin films exhibited lattice distortion which modified their ferroelectric properties.
- K. Wasa, T. Satoh, K. Tabata, H. Adachi, Y. Yabuuchi and K. Setsune: J. Mater. Res. 9 (1994) 2959.
- K. Wasa: Bull. Mater. Sci. India 16 (1993) 643.
- H. Adachi, T. Mitsuyu, O. Yamazaki and K. Wasa: Proc. 9th Symp. Ion Source and Ion Assisted Technology, Kyoto, 1985, p. 373.
- K. Wasa, T. Satoh, H. Adachi, K. Setsune and S. Trolier-McKinstry: Proc. the 3rd Int. Symp. Sputtering & Plasma Processes, Tokyo, 1995, p. 83.
- K. Wasa, T. Satoh, K. Tabata, H. Adachi and K. Setsune: Appl. Phys. Commun. 13 (1994) 205.
- G. A. Rossetti, Jr., L. Cross and K. Kushida:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 59 (1991) 2524[AIP Scitation].
- B. S. Kwak, A. Erbil, B. J. Wilkens, J. D. Budai, M. F. Chisholm and L. A. Boatner:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 68 (1992) 3733[APS].
- J. S. Speck, A. Seifert, W. Pompe and R. Ramesh:
J. Appl. Phys. 76 (1994) 477[AIP Scitation].
- C. B. Eom, R. J. Cava, R. M. Fleming, J. M. Phillips, R. B. van Dover, J. H. Marshall, J. W. P. Hsu, J. J. Krajewski and W. F. Peck, Jr.: Science 258 (1992) 1766[Science].
- K. Wasa, T. Satoh and K. Tabata: Proc. 1994 MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, 1994, I2-2.14.
- K. Uchino, E. Sadanaga and T. Hirose:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 72 (1989) 1555[CrossRef].