Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) pp. L1467-L1469 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (447K)| |Buy This Article|
Enhanced Photocurrent in Organic Photoelectric Cells Based on Surface Plasmon Excitations
Electrotechnical Laboratory, 1-1-4 Umezono, Tsukuba-shi, Ibaraki 305, Japan
(Received August 12, 1995; accepted for publication September 21, 1995)
Surface plasmons (SP) were excited on both of the electrodes of organic photoelectric cells of Al/copper phthalocyanine/Ag structure using the attenuated total reflection method to examine the influence of excitation of SP on photoelectric effects. A marked increase in the photocurrent was caused by the excitation of SP.
Origin of the enhancement of photocurrent due to excitation of SP is discussed based on the experimental results and the calculations of the electric field inside the cell showing that the enhancement cannot be explained only by the intensity of electric field.
KEYWORDS:surface plasmon, photoelectric conversion, solar cells
- See for example, the review papers in Surface Polaritons, eds. V. M. Agranovich and D. L. Mills (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982).
- J. Derov, Y. Y. Teng and A. S. Karakashian: Phys. Lett. 95A (1983) 197.
- S. R. J. Brueck, V. Diadiuk, T. Jones and W. Lenth:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 46 (1985) 915[AIP Scitation].
- M. Rahman, A. S. Karakashian, S. Broude and D. Gladden: Appl. Opt. 30 (1991) 2935.
- T. Kume, S. Hayashi and K. Yamamoto:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) 3486[JSAP].
- M. J. Cazeca, C. C. Chang and A. S. Karakashian:
J. Appl. Phys. 66 (1989) 3386[AIP Scitation].
- E. Kretschmann: Z. Physik 241 (1974) 313.
- A. Otto: Z. Physik 216 (1968) 398.
- F. Abeles and T. Lopez-Rios: Opt. Commun. 11 (1974) 89.
- G. J. Kovacs and G. D. Scott:
Phys. Rev. B 16 (1977) 1297[APS].
- M. A. Ordal, L. L. Long, R. J. Bell, S. E. Bell, R. R. Bell, R. W. Alexander, Jr. and C. A. Ward: Appl. Opt. 22 (1983) 1099.
- F. Yang, J.R. Sambles and G. W. Bradberry: J. Mod. Opt. 38 (1991) 1441.