Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) pp. L824-L826 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (471K)| |Buy This Article|
Influence of the Emission Site on the Running Durability of Organic Electroluminescent Devices
New Materials Research Center, SANYO Electric Co., 1-18-13 Hashiridani, Hirakata, Osaka 573, Japan
(Received May 11, 1995; accepted for publication May 29, 1995)
The influence of the emission site on the running durability of organic electroluminescent devices was examined. The fundamental device structure of MgIn/BeBq2/TPD/MTDATA/ITO ( BeBq2=bis(10-hydroxybenzo[h]quinolinato)beryllium, TPD=N,N′-diphenyl-N,N′-(3-methylphenyl)-1,1′-biphenyl-4,4′-diamine, MTDATA=4,4′,4′′-tris(3-methylphenylphenylamino)triphenylamine) was employed. BeBq2 has the electron transport property, and TPD and MTDATA have the hole transport property. The emitting material [rubrene] was doped in the TPD layer of device A and in the BeBq2 layer of device B. Both devices A and B showed high luminance of more than 10000 cd/m2. However, the running lifetimes of devices A and B, in which the initial luminance of 500 cd/m2 was reduced to one-half under a constant driving current, were 3554 h and 110 h, respectively. It was thus found that the emission site exerts an influence on the running durability.
- C. W. Tang and S. A. VanSlyke:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 51 (1987) 913[AIP Scitation].
- C. W. Tang, S. A. VanSlyke and C. H. Chen:
J. Appl. Phys. 65 (1989) 3610[AIP Scitation].
- T. Wakimoto, R. Murayama, H. Nakada, K. Imai, G. Sato and M. Nomura: Polymer Reprints, Japan 40 (1991) 3600.
- Y. Shirota, Y. Kuwabara, H. Inaba, T. Wakimoto, H. Nakada, Y. Yonemoto, S. Kawami and K. Imai:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 65 (1994) 807[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Shirota, T. Kobata and N. Noma: Chem. Lett. (1989) 1145.
- Y. Hamada, T. Sano, M. Fujita, T. Fujii, Y. Nishio and K. Shibata:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) L514[JSAP].
- Y. Hamada, T. Sano, M. Fujita, T. Fujii, Y. Nishio and K. Shibata: Chem. Lett. (1993) 906.
- H. J. Wagner, R. O. Loutfy and C. K. Hsiao:
J. Mater. Sci. 17 (1982) 2781[CrossRef].