Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) pp. 2621-2627 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1076K)| |Buy This Article|
Cellular-Automaton Circuits Using Single-Electron-Tunneling Junctions
Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060, Japan
(Received September 6, 1996; accepted for publication February 21, 1997)
We propose cellular automaton circuits that use single-electron-tunneling circuits (SET-CA). The unit cell consists of four intrinsic semiconductor islands and four single-electron-tunneling junctions. The dielectric constant of the intrinsic semiconductor is much larger than that of the junction insulator. The unit cell is charged with two single electrons. Polarization states of the two single electrons in the unit cell can be used to encode a binary signal. We designed various binary logic SET-CA circuits, and analyzed their operation by computer simulation. It was demonstrated that the SET-CA circuits having appropriate arrangements of the cells can perform correct signal transmission and elemental logic operations such as NOT, NAND, and NOR.
KEYWORDS:cellular automaton, single-electron tunneling, SET circuit, intrinsic semiconductor island, logic device
- K. Preston and M. Duff: Modern Cellular Automata (Plenum Press, New York, 1984).
- T. Toffoli and N. Margolus: Cellular Automata Machines (MIT Press, Cambridge, 1987).
- C. S. Lent, P. D. Tougaw, W. Porod and G. H. Bernstein:
Nanotechnology 4 (1993) 49[IoP STACKS].
- C. S. Lent and P. D. Tougaw: Inter. Conf. Advanced Microelectronics Devices and Processing, March (1994) p. 717.
- R. T. Bate, G. A. Frazier, W. R. Frensley, J. W. Lee and M. A. Reed:
Proc. SPIE 792 (1987) 26[AIP Scitation].
- P. Bashi, D. Broido and K. Kempa:
J. Appl. Phys. 70 (1991) 5150[AIP Scitation].
- C. S. Lent and P. D. Tougaw:
J. Appl. Phys. 75 (1994) 4077[AIP Scitation].
- K. Matsumoto: IEICE Trans. Electron. E79-C (1996) 1509.
- K. Matsumoto, M. Ishii, K. Segawa, Y. Oka, B. J. Vartanian and J. S. Harris:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 68 (1996) 34[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Takahashi, A. Fujiwara, M. Nagase, H. Namatsu, K. Kurihara, K. Iwadate and K. Murase: IEICE Trans. Electron. E79-C (1996) 1503.
- N. Kuwamura, K. Taniguchi and C. Hamaguchi: Trans. IEICE J77-C-II (1994) 221.
- J. R. Tucher:
J. Appl. Phys. 72 (1992) 4399[AIP Scitation].