Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) pp. 6031-6034 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1536K)| |Buy This Article|
Crystal Growth of Lead Zirconate Titanate with Additives under Hydrothermal Conditions
Research Laboratory of Hydrothermal Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Kochi University, Akebono-cho, Kochi 780, Japan
1Materials and Devices Research Laboratories, Toshiba R&D Center, Toshiba Corporation,
1 Komukai Toshiba-cho, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki 210, Japan
(Received May 6, 1977; accepted for publication July 15, 1997)
Single crystals of lead zirconate titanate (PZT) with an additive such as La2O3, Nb2O3 or MnO were
grown under hydrothermal conditions with the starting nutrient of PZT ceramic powder based on Pb(Zr0.53Ti0.47)O3.
The powder placed at the bottom of the capsule was dissolved in the KF solution at 640° C, and recrystallized at the
top of the capsule at 600° C. Large crystals up to 1.8 mm in length were grown in 45 wt% KF solution, but a decrease
in the concentration resulted in the reduction of the volume and size of the grown crystals. The addition of Nb to PZT ceramics
inhibited the growth of the crystals. The additives in the starting materials were incorporated into the grown crystals, but
the concentration of Zr in the crystals was markedly reduced in comparison with that of the starting materials.
- S. Fushimi and T. Ikeda: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 50 (1967) 129.
- S. Fushimi and T. Ikeda:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 3 (1964) 171[JSAP].
- M. L. Sholokhovich and E. G. Fesenko: Izv. Akad. Nauk. SSSR, Ser. Fiz. 24 (1960) 1242.
- V. V. Eremkin, V. G. Smotrakov, E. S. Tsikhotskii, V. A. Aleshin and E. G.Fesenko: Izv. Akad. Nauk. SSSR, Neorg. Mater. 23 (1987) 284.
- O. Yamaguchi, S. Koshiyama and K. Shimizu: J. Jpn. Soc. Powder & Powder Met. 20 (1973) 121.
- K. Tsuzuki, K. Sakata, G. Ohara and M. Wada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 12 (1973) 1500[JSAP].
- M. L. Barsukova, V. A. Kuznetsov, A. N. Lobachev and V. V. Liner: Sov. Phys.-Crystallogr. 16 (1971) 178.
- K. Yanagisawa, H. Kanai, and Y. Yamashita:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) 5346[JSAP].
- V. A. Kuznetzov: J. Cryst. Growth 3, 4 (1968) 405.