Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) pp. 6595-6600 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1201K)| |Buy This Article|
Formation of Grown-in Defects during Czochralski Silicon Crystal Growth
R&D Center, Sumitomo Sitix Corporation, Kohoku-cho, Kishima-gun, Saga 849-05, Japan
(Received June 12, 1997; accepted for publication August 28, 1997)
The formation behavior of grown-in defects in Czochralski silicon (CZ-Si) crystals was investigated using two crystals that were quenched during growth but in one case after crystal growth had been halted for 5 h. The distributions of grown-in defect density and size, and their micro-structures were analyzed as a function of temperature during crystal growth just before quenching by means of an optical precipitate profiler (OPP) and an atomic force microscope (AFM) coupled with a laser particle counter. The formation of grown-in defects, which are considered to be octahedral voids, was found to consist of two dominant processes. The first step involves rapid void growth in a narrow temperature range of about 30° C below 1100° C and the subsequent step consists of an oxide film growth on the inner surface of the void during the cooling process to about 900° C after void formation. It was also found that the growth of the oxide film in the voids is rate-limited by the diffusion rate of oxygen atoms in silicon. In addition, it is strongly suggested that void formation in such a narrow temperature range is due to a rapid agglomeration of vacancies.
- S. Umeno, S. Sadamitsu, H. Murakami, M. Hourai, S. Sumita and T. Shigematsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) L699[JSAP].
- H. Yamagishi, I. Fusegawa, N. Fujimaki and M. Katayama:
Semicond. Sci. & Technol. 7 (1992) A135[IoP STACKS].
- S. Sadamitsu, S. Umeno, Y. Koike, M. Hourai, S. Sumita and T. Shigematsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) 3675[JSAP].
- J. Ryuta, E. Morita, T. Tanaka and Y. Shimanuki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) L1947[JSAP].
- P. Gall, J. P. Fillard, J. Bonnafe, T. Rakotomavo, H. Rufer and H. Schwenk: Defect Control in Semiconductors, ed. K. Sumino (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1990) p. 255.
- S. Umeno, M. Okui, M. Hourai, M. Sano and H. Tsuya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) L591[JSAP].
- M. Hourai, T. Nagashima, E. Kajita, S. Miki, T. Shigematsu and M. Okui: J. Electrochem. Soc. 142 (1995) 3193.
- M. Kato, T. Yoshida, Y. Ikeda and Y. Kitagawara:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1996) 5597[JSAP].
- M. Itsumi, H. Akiya, T. Ueki, M. Tomita and M. Yamawaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 35 (1996) 812[JSAP].
- M. Miyazaki, S. Miyazaki, Y. Yanase, T. Ochiai and T. Shigematsu:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) 6303[JSAP].
- Y. Takano and M. Maki: J. Electrochem. Soc. 120 (1973) 469.
- J. Gass, H. H. Muller, H. Stussi and S. Schweitzer:
J. Appl. Phys. 51 (1980) 2030[AIP Scitation].
- J. C. Mikkelsen Jr.:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 40 (1982) 336[AIP Scitation].
- T. Shiota, E. Morita, T. Shingyouji and Y. Shimanuki: Ext. Abstr. 183rd Spring Meet. Electrochem. Soc., Honolulu, 1993, Vol. 793, p. 1152.