Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) pp. L1207-L1210 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (614K)| |Buy This Article|
Real Time Analysis of Liquid Crystal Surface Orientation Dynamics Using Polarization Modulated Spectroellipsometry
JASCO Corporation, Spectroscopic Instruments Division, 2967-5 Ishikawa-cho, Hachioji, Tokyo 192, Japan
1Department of Chemistry, College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Komaba, Meguro, Tokyo 153, Japan
(Received July 16, 1997; accepted for publication August 7, 1997)
Polarization modulated spectroellipsometry (PMSE) with the time resolution of 1 ms was used to analyze the dynamic response of 4-n-pentyl-4′-cyanobiphenyl (5CB) liquid crystals. The surface dynamics of 5CB in the vicinity of polyimide orienting layer were isolated using the reflection PMSE. Information about bulk reorientation dynamics was obtained from transmission PMSE experiments. Comparison of the results of two experiments indicates that the surface molecules require a higher electric field for reorientation and decay occurs much faster (3 ms) than the bulk molecules (100 ms). These observations clearly indicate the presence of an anchoring effect and illustrate the advantage of the reflection PMSE for the study of surface reorientation dynamics of liquid crystals.
- T. Fukazawa and Y. Fujita:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 67 (1996) 1951[AIP Scitation].
- H. Yokoyama and H. A. van Spang:
J. Appl. Phys. 57 (1985) 4520[AIP Scitation].
- N. A. J. M. van Aerle, M. Barmentio and R. W. J. Hollering:
J. Appl. Phys. 74 (1993) 3111[AIP Scitation].
- M. Schubert, B. Rheinlander, C. Cramer, H. Schmiedel, J. A. Woollam, C. M. Herzinger and B. Johs: J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 13 (1996) 1930.
- T. Fukazawa, M. Sano, Y. Yoshida and N. Sakayanagi:
Thin Solid Films 234 (1993) 390[CrossRef].
- T. Tadokoro and Y. Yoshida: Jasco Report 35 (1993) 40 [in Japanese].
- T. Nakano, T. Yokoyama and H. Toriumi: Appl. Spectrosc. 47 (1993) 1354.
- H. Toriumi: Mol. Cryst. & Liq. Cryst. 262 (1995) 371.
- T. Fukazawa, T. Tadokoro, H. Toriumi, T. Akahane and M. Kimura: Thin Solid Films, in press.
- T. Akahane, M. Kimura, T. Tadokoro, K. Akao and H. Toriumi: to be submitted.