Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) pp. 5005-5007 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (564K)| |Buy This Article|
A New Method for Measuring Secondary Electron Emission Yield from Nd Surface Bombarded by Ions from a Laser-Ion Source
Department of Materials Science,Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute,
Tokai-mura, Naka-gun, Ibaraki 319-1195, Japan
(Received April 30, 1998; accepted for publication June 8, 1998)
A new method to study secondary electron emission has been devised and
secondary electron emission yield from Nd surface bombarded by Nd ions
was measured in the energy range of 0.1–3 keV. A neodymium ion beam was
extracted from a laser-ion source using resonance photoionization, and
bombarded the surface which was continuously covered by Nd atoms. The
variation in ion flux was calibrated by the reference ion signal. Secondary
electron emission is not observed for energies below 0.97 keV. Above the
threshold, secondary electron emission yield increases linearly with the
incident ion energy and becomes 0.17 at 3 keV. These results indicate that
by this method secondary electron emission yield can be measured from a
laser-ion source even when a large incident ion flux variation is present.
- M. Kaminski: Atomic and Ionic Impact Phenomena on Metal Surfaces (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1965).
- R. A. Baragiola, E. V. Alonso, J. Ferron and A. Oliva-Florio: Surf. Sci. 90 (1979) 240.
- J. A. Paisner: Appl. Phys. B 46 (1988) 253.
- H. L. Chen, R. Solarz and G. Erbert:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 42 (1983) 120[AIP Scitation].
- H. Ohba, A. Nishimura, K. Ogura and T. Shibata:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 65 (1994) 657[AIP Scitation].
- K. Ogura, T. Arisawa and T. Shibata:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 1485[JSAP].
- K. Ogura and T. Shibata:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 33 (1994) L131[JSAP].
- E. F. Worden, R. W. Solarz, J. A. Paisner and J. G. Conway: J. Opt. Soc. Am. 68 (1978) 52.
- H. B. Michaelson:
J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1950) 536[AIP Scitation].
- A. Coste, R. Avril, P. Blancard, J. Chatelet, D. Lambert, J. Legre, S. Liberman and J. Pinard: J. Opt. Soc. Am. 72 (1982) 103.
- G. Lakits, F. Aumayr, M. Heim and H. Winter:
Phys. Rev. A 42 (1990) 5780[APS].