Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) pp. L1023-L1025 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (88K)| |Buy This Article|
Residual Strain Dependence of Stimulated Emission in GaN Layers Grown on (0001) Sapphire Substrates
Research Center, Sony Corporation, 174 Fujitsuka-cho, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-0013, Japan
(Received June 10, 1998; revised manuscript revised July 10, 1998; accepted for publication July 24, 1998)
We have grown 1.5 µm-thick GaN layers on (0001) sapphire substrates by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition with various flow rates of trimethylgallium. The lattice constants a and c in the layer were estimated by X-ray diffraction.
The threshold power density for stimulated emission was measured by photopumping the layers. It was found that the grown layers were elastically deformed and that the residual strain can be sustained by decreasing the flow rate of trimethylgallium.
It was also found that the threshold power density of stimulated emission decreases as the lattice constant a decreases. This tendency indicates that the strain relaxation mechanism is associated with enhancement of nonradiative recombination.
KEYWORDS:GaN, heterostructure, metalorganic chemical vapor deposition, thermal strain, lattice constant, stimulated emission, strain relaxation, dislocation
- S. Nakamura, T. Mukai and M. Senoh:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 64 (1994) 1687[AIP Scitation].
- S. Nakamura, M. Senoh, S. Nagahama, N. Iwasa, T. Yamada, T. Matsushita, H. Kiyoku, Y. Sugimoto, T. Kozaki, H. Umemoto, M. Sano and K. Chocho:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) L1568[JSAP].
- N. Itoh, J. C. Rhee, T. Kawabata and S. Koike:
J. Appl. Phys. 58 (1985) 1828[AIP Scitation].
- H. Amano, K. Hiramatsu and I. Akasaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L1384[JSAP].
- T. Detchprohm, K. Hiramatu, K. Itoh and I. Akasaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) L1454[JSAP].
- K. Hiramatu, T. Detchprohm and I. Akasaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1993) 1528[JSAP].
- S. J. Rosner, E. C. Carr, M. J. Ludowise, G. Girolami and H. I. Erikson:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 70 (1997) 420[AIP Scitation].
- R. Dingle, K. L. Shaklee, R. F. Leheny and R. B. Zetterstrom:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 19 (1971) 5[AIP Scitation].
- H. Amano, T. Asahi and I. Akasaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) L205[JSAP].
- M. A. Khan, D. T. Olson, J. M. Van Hove and J. N. Kuznia:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 58 (1991) 1515[AIP Scitation].