Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) pp. L1283-L1285 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (194K)| |Buy This Article|
New Semiconductor Alloy GaAs1-xBix Grown by Metal Organic Vapor Phase Epitaxy
Department of Electronics and Information Science, Faculty of Engineering and Design,
Kyoto Institute of Technology, Matsugasaki, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8585, Japan
1NTT Optoelectronics Laboratories, Morinosato, Atsugi, Kanagawa 243-01, Japan
(Received August 26, 1998; accepted for publication September 9, 1998)
A new semiconductor alloy material, GaAs1-xBix has been created by Metal Organic
Vapor Phase Epitaxial (MOVPE) growth. A low growth temperature, such as 365°C, is
required to obtain the alloy. X-ray diffraction measurements of alloy layers reveal that the
diffraction patterns are satisfactory. The maximum GaBi content in the GaAsBi alloy
estimated from the lattice constant is around 2%, which is consistent with that estimated from
secondary ion mass spectroscopy (SIMS) measurements. In a photoluminescence (PL)
measurement, a single peak spectrum is observed from 10 to 300 K. The temperature
variation of the PL peak energy is as small as 0.1 meV/K.
KEYWORDS:GaAs1- xBi x alloy, new semiconductor, temperature-insensitive,
metastable alloy, metal-organic vapor phase epitaxy
- A. M. Jean-Louis, B. Ayrault and J. Varga: Phys. Status Solidi 34 (1969) 341.
- K. Oe, S. Ando and K. Sugiyama:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 20 (1981) L303[JSAP].
- K. Y. Ma, Z. M. Fang, R. M. Cohen and G. B. Stringfellow:
J. Appl. Phys. 68 (1990) 4586[AIP Scitation].
- K. Y. Ma, Z. M. Fang, R. M. Cohen and G. B. Stringfellow: J. Electron. Mater. 21 (1992) 143.
- K. Oe and H. Asai: Symp. Record of Electronic Material Symp. '95, Izu-Nagaoka, 1995, p. 191.
- K. Oe and H. Asai: IEICE Trans. Electron. E79-C (1996) 1751.
- H. Okamoto and K. Oe:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) 1608[JSAP].