Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 37 (1998) pp. L479-L481 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (79K)| |Buy This Article|
Amber InGaN-Based Light-Emitting Diodes Operable at High Ambient Temperatures
R & D Department,
Nichia Chemical Industries, Ltd.,
491 Oka, Kaminaka, Anan, Tokushima 774, Japan
(Received March 28, 1998; accepted for publication April 3, 1998)
High-efficiency amber InGaN single-quantum-well (SQW) structure light-emitting
diodes (LEDs) with a luminous efficiency of 10 lm/W were developed. At a
current of 20 mA, the external quantum efficiency, the output power and the emission
wavelength of the amber InGaN SQW structure LEDs were 3.3%, 1.4 mW and 594 nm,
respectively. The output power of InGaN LEDs was about twice as high as that of
AlInGaP LEDs. There was a large difference in the temperature dependence of the
output power between InGaN and AlInGaP LEDs. When the ambient temperature was
increased from room temperature to 80°C, the output power of AlInGaP LEDs
decreased dramatically. On the other hand, the output power of the InGaN LEDs
remained almost constant.
- For a review, see S. Nakamura and G. Fasol: The Blue Laser Diode (Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 1997) 1st ed.
- S. Nakamura, M. Senoh, N. Iwasa, S. Nagahama, T. Yamada and T. Mukai:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) L1332[JSAP].
- T. Mukai, D. Morita and S. Nakamura: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Nitride Semiconductors, Tokushima, Oct. 27–31, 1997, LN-9.
- S. Nakamura, M. Senoh, N. Iwasa and S. Nagahama:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 34 (1995) L797[JSAP].
- F. A. Kish and R. M. Fletcher: AlInGaP Light-Emitting Diodes, eds. G. B. Stringfellow and M. G. Craford (Academic Press, San Diego, 1997) Semiconductors and Semimetals Vol. 48, Chap. 5, p. 149.
- M. E. Hodapp: Applications for High-Brightness Light-Emitting Diodes, eds. G. B. Stringfellow and M. G. Craford (Academic Press, San Diego, 1997) Semiconductors and Semimetals Vol. 48, Chap. 6, p. 227.
- I. Ho and G. B. Stringfellow:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (1996) 2701[AIP Scitation].
- S. Chichibu, T. Azuhata, T. Sota and S. Nakamura:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (1996) 4188[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Narukawa, Y. Kawakami, Sz. Fujita, Sg. Fujita and S. Nakamura:
Phys. Rev. B 55 (1997) 1938R[APS].