Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) pp. 2978-2982 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (334K)| |Buy This Article|
High-Speed Detection of Ballistic Photons Propagating through Suspensions Using Spectral Interferometry
Department of Physics, Keio University School of Medicine, Hiyoshi, Yokohama 223-8521, Japan
(Received September 11, 1998; accepted for publication March 1, 1999)
I describe spectral interferometry (SI) with incoherent radiation to detect ballistic photons propagating through suspensions. SI detects mutual interference between a sampling beam and a reference beam, even in cases where the former is not equal to the latter in regard to propagation delay time. I have succeeded in eliminating virtual images by performing three spectral measurements with three different reference beam phases. By removing virtual images, the observed dynamic range is increased by 20 db. SI has potential for improving the image-obtaining time of optical computed tomography. In my experiment, a one-line scan time of 200 µs has been achieved.
KEYWORDS:spectral interferometry, ballistic photon, superluminescent diode, heterodyne detection, multiple scatterer
- M. Lax:
Rev. Mod. Phys. 23 (1951) 287[APS].
- I. Freund, M. Kaveh and M. Rosenbluh:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 60 (1988) 1130[APS].
- G. Jarry, L. Poupinet, J. Watson and T. Lepine; Appl. Opt. 34 (1995) 2045.
- T. Mitsui and K. Sakurai: Appl. Opt. 35 (1996) 2253.
- T. Mitsui, H. Numata and K. Sakurai: Tech. Dig. Pacific Rim Conf. Lasers and Electro-optics '95 (IEEE, NJ, 1995) p. 55.
- D. Huang, E.A. Swanson, C. P. Lin, J. S. Schumam, W. G. Stinson, W. Chang, M. R. Hee, T. Flotte, K. Gregory, C. A. Puliafito and J. G. Fujimoto: Science 254 (1991) 1178[Science].
- E. A. Swanson, D. Huang, M. R. Hee, J. G. Fujimoto, C. P. Lin and C. A. Puliafito: Opt. Lett. 17 (1992) 151.
- J. A. Izatt, M. D. Kulkarni, K. Kobayashi, M. V. Sivak, J. K. Barton and A. J. Welch: Opt. & Photon. News 8 (1997) 41.
- M. Toida, M. Kondo, T. Ichimura and H. Inaba: Appl. Phys. B 52 (1991) 391.
- F. Liu, K. M. Yoo and R. R. Alfano: Opt. Lett. 16 (1991) 351.
- K. M. Yoo and R. R. Alfano: Opt. Lett. 15 (1990) 320.
- A. F. Fercher, K. Mengedoht and W. Werner: Opt. Lett. 13 (1988) 186.
- N. Tsuruachi, T. Fuji, S. Kawato, T. Hattori and H. Nakatsuka: Opt. Lett. 19 (1994) 1867.
- T. Fuji, M. Miyata, S. Kawato, T. Hattori and H. Nakatsuka: J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 14 (1997) 1074.
- G. Häusler and M. W. Lindner: J. Biomed. Opt. 3 (1998) 21.