Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) pp. 809-813 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (395K)| |Buy This Article|
Optimization of Panel Parameters and Drive Signals for High-Speed Matrix Addressing of a Bistable Twisted-Nematic Liquid Crystal Display
1Department of Electronics Engineering, Pusan National University, Pusan 609-735, Korea
2Research Institute of Computer, Information and Communication, Pusan National University, Pusan 609-735, Korea
3Samsung Display Devices Co., Suwon 442-390, Korea
(Received September 8, 1998; accepted for publication November 6, 1998)
In this paper, we introduce a method to optimize panel parameters and drive signals in a matrix-addressed bistable twisted-nematic (BTN) liquid crystal display (LCD) panel. We measure the effect of data pulses on optical switching characteristics in a BTN LC cell to model the effect theoretically. We introduce a weighting function to model the effect of data pulses on the switching energy as a function of time. Once the weighting function is known, we can estimate the maximum number of lines for a multiplexing operation at a given frame rate by calculating the minimum data pulse width. By characterizing a unit cell while varying panel parameters (for example, d/p ratio), we can optimize parameters for high-speed operation. We found that our theoretical predictions agree very well with experimental results.
- T. Tanaka, Y. Sato, A. Inoue, Y. Momose, H. Nomura and S. Iino: Asia Display '95 (1995) p. 259.
- C. D. Hoke, J. R. Kelly, J. Li and P. J. Bos:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) L227[JSAP].
- C. D. Hoke, J. R. Kelly, J. Li and P. J. Bos: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 28 (1997) 29.
- J. C. Kim, G.-J. Choi, Y.-S. Kim, K. H. Kang, T.-H. Yoon, K. G. Nam, H. S. Kim and E.-S. Lee: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 28 (1997) 33.
- T. Z. Qian, Z. L. Xie, H. S. Kwok and P. Sheng:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 71 (1997) 596[AIP Scitation].
- T. Tanaka, Y. Sato, T. Obikawa, H. Nomura and S. Iino: Int. Display Research Conf. (1997) p. 64.
- H. S. Kwok, T. Z. Qian, Z. L. Xie and P. Sheng: Int. Display Research Conf. (1997) p. 89.
- G. D. Lee, H. S. Kim, T. H. Yoon, J. C. Kim and E. S. Lee: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 29 (1998) 842.