Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) pp. 1727-1729 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (133K)| |Buy This Article|
Low-resistance InGa(Al)As Tunnel Junctions for Long Wavelength Vertical-cavity Surface-emitting Lasers
Walter Schottky Institut, Technische Universität München, Am Coulombwall, 85748 Garching, Germany
(Received November 8, 1999; revised manuscript revised January 7, 2000; accepted for publication January 21, 2000)
A new method is proposed for a significant reduction of series resistance and device heating in long wavelength vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs) based on InP. Our technique involves a twofold epitaxial growth with a buried low-resistance (3×10-6 Ωcm2) tunnel junction. The substitution of high-resistive p-type confining layers by low-resistive n-type material results in total resistances smaller 100 Ω even for the case of non-conducting dielectric mirrors. With the application of buried tunnel junctions in a VCSEL-structure, we could demonstrate small electrical series resistance (U < 1 V at 3 kAcm-2) and effective current confinement simultaneously. Furthermore, because of the laterally varying cavity length, an effective lateral waveguiding effect occurs.
KEYWORDS:semiconductor laser, surface emitting laser, InGaAlAs/InP, tunnel junction, long wavelength, optical communication
- D. I. Babić, K. Streubel, R. P. Mirin, M. Margalit, J. E. Bowers, E. L. Hu, D. E. Mars, L. Yang and K. Carey: IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 7 (1995) 1225.
- J. J. Wierer, P. W. Evans, N. Holonyak, Jr. and D. A. Kellogg:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 71 (1997) 3468[AIP Scitation].
- M. Arzberger, M. Lohner, G. Böhm and M.-C. Amann: to be published in Electron. Lett.
- G. Franz and M.-C. Amann: J. Electrochem. Soc. 140 (1993) 847.
- M.-H. Park and L. C. Wang:
J. Appl. Phys. 81 (1997) 2720[AIP Scitation].
- D. G. Deppe, N. D. Gerrard, C. J. Pinzone, R. D. Dupuis and E. F. Schubert:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 56 (1990) 315[AIP Scitation].
- Landolt and Börnstein: Semiconductors: Physics of Group IV Elements and III–V Compounds (Springer, Berlin, 1982) Vol. III/17a p. 571.
- G. R. Hadley, K. L. Lear, M. E. Warren, K. D. Choquette, J. W. Scott and S. W. Corzine:
IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 32 (1996) 607[CrossRef].