Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) pp. 2376-2379 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (329K)| |Buy This Article|
Effects of Strain on Highly Mismatched AlGaN/GaN Multiple Quantum Wells
Corporate Research & Development Center, Toshiba Corporation,
1, Komukai Toshiba-cho, Saiwai-ku, Kawasaki 212-8582, Japan
(Received October 1, 1999; accepted for publication January 7, 2000)
Photoluminescence (PL) spectra, surface morphologies and
cross-sectional images of
transmission microscopy (TEM) were examined after changing the
thickness of barriers or wells in AlGaN/GaN multiple quantum
wells. When the wells are thin and the barriers are thick, multi quantum wells (MQWs) are
partially relaxed. This brings about changes in the electric field and
the band-gap of the wells. Thus, the PL spectrum becomes
broad. Although few cracks were observed, cross-sectional TEM images
indicated that the crystalline quality was poor. Even when the wells
are thin, however, the strain energy can be lowered by reducing the
barrier thickness. Thus, an improved PL spectrum can be obtained.
- Y. Someya and Y. Arakawa:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 3653[AIP Scitation].
- J. Han, M. H. Crawford, R. J. Shul, J. J. Figiel, M. Banas, L. Zhang, Y. K. Song, H. Zhou and A. V. Nurmikko:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 1688[AIP Scitation].
- N. Iizuka and N. Suzuki: Proc. 25th Int. Symp. on Compound Semiconductors, Nara, 1998 (IOP Publishing, Bristol, 1999) p. 663.
- R. A. Hogg, C. E. Norman, A. J. Shields, M. Pepper and N. Iizuka: Ext. Abstr. 9th Int. Conf. on Modulated Semiconductor Structures (1999) P03.
- C. E. Norman, R. A. Hogg, A. J. Shields and N. Iizuka: 3rd Int. Conf. Nitride Semiconductors (1999).
- R. A. Hogg, C. E. Norman, A. J. Shields, M. Pepper and N. Iizuka: submitted to Appl. Phys. Lett.
- L. Sugiura, K. Itaya, J. Nishio, H. Fujimoto and Y. Kokubun:
J. Appl. Phys. 82 (1997) 4877[AIP Scitation].
- K. Kim, W. R. L. Lambrecht and B. Segal:
Phys. Rev. B 53 (1996) 16310[APS].
- F. Bernardini, V. Fiorentini and D. Vanderbilt:
Phys. Rev. B 56 (1997) R10024[APS].
- M. Suzuki and T. Uenoyama:
Phys. Rev. B 52 (1995) 8132[APS].