Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) pp. 5604-5608 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (612K)| |Buy This Article|
Preparation of Pb(Zr0.53Ti0.47)O3 Thick Films by an Interfacial Polymerization Method on Silicon Substrates and Their Electric and Piezoelectric Properties
Department of Metallurgy and Ceramics Science, Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology,
2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
(Received May 24, 2000; accepted for publication June 29, 2000)
Pb(Zr0.53Ti0.47)O3 (PZT) films of 10 to 50 µm in thickness were prepared by a new sol-gel process using an interfacial polymerization technique. The interfacial polymerization process is that an alkoxide precursor solution is poured on the surface of water in a container to form a gel film at the interface between the two immiscible liquids. The precursor solution was prepared by adding PZT alkoxide solution, PZT powders coated with Pb5Ge3O11 (PG), and a surfactant into hexane solvent. After the polymerization at the interface, the gel films were gently placed on a silicon substrate by draining the water in the container. The gel films containing PZT powders were sintered at 950°C for 10 min to obtain crystallized PZT films. The remanent polarization of a PZT thick film was 33.1 µC/cm2. The piezoelectric d33 constant measured with a Mach-Zehnder interferometer was 225 pm/V and was independent of frequency from 0.2 to 3 kHz. A process to create patterns of PZT thick films was developed. The resonance frequencies of four square patterns of 2×2 mm2 in size were consistent, which indicated that the interfacial polymerization process enables the fabrication of uniform thick films in a large area.
- P. Muralt: Integr. Ferroelectr. 17 (1997) 297.
- D. S. Eddy and D. R. Sparks: Proc. IEEE 86 (1998) 1747.
- J. W. Krome and J. Wallaschek: J. Intel. Mater. Sys. Struct. 7 (1996) 157.
- G. A. Racine, P. Muralt and M. A. Dubois: Smart Mater. Struct. 7 (1998) 404.
- F. J. Preissig, H. Zeng and E. S. Kim: Smart Mater. Struct. 7 (1998) 396.
- L. Aou, M. Sayer and C. K. Jen: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1997) p. 1007.
- A. Ronnekleiv, P. E. Roche and B. T. Khuri-Yakub: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1997) p. 1060.
- S. Gwirc, H. Gomez, C. Negreira and L. Malatto: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1997) p. 427.
- T. Kanda, T. Morita, M. Kurosawa and T. Higuchi: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1998) p. 378.
- S. Alkoy, P. D. Lopath and R. E. Newnham: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1997) p. 991.
- D. M. Burns and V. M. Bright: IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (1998) p. 460.
- J. F. Fernandes, E. Nieto, C. Moure, P. Duran and R. E. Newnham: J. Mater. Sci. 30 (1995) 5399.
- T. Futakuchi, Y. Matsui and M. Adachi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) 5528[JSAP].
- Y. Akiyama, K. Yamanaka, E. Fujisawa and Y. Koiwa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 38 (1999) 5524[JSAP].
- Y. L. Tu and S. L. Milne: J. Mater. Res. 11 (1996) 2556.
- H. D. Chen, K. R. Udayakumar, C. J. Gaskey and L. E. Cross:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 79 (1996) 2189[CrossRef].
- D. A. Barrow, T. E. Petroff, R. P. Tandon and M. Sayer:
J. Appl. Phys. 81 (1997) 876[AIP Scitation].
- K. Shinomura, T. Tsurumi, Y. Ohba and M. Daimon:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1991) 2174[JSAP].
- T. Kikuchi, T. Tsurumi, Y. Ohba and M. Daimon:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 31 (1992) 3090[JSAP].
- J. Hamagami, M. Ohgaki and K. Mamashita: Ceramic Data Book '98 26 (1998) p. 155.
- T. Sweeney and R. W. Whatmore: Proc. 10th IEEE Int. Symp. Appl. Ferroelectr. (1996) p. 193.
- M. Ichiki, J. Akedo, A. Schroth, R. Maeda and Y. Ishikawa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 36 (1997) 5815[JSAP].
- S. Ozawa, N. Ohashi, M. Yamane and T. Tsurumi: Ext. Abs. 9th US-Japan Seminar on Dielectric & Piezoelectric Ceramics (1999) p. 417.
- M. Yamane, S. Shibata, A. Yasumori, T. Yano and S. Uchihiro: J. Sol-Gel Sci. Tech. 2 (1994) 457.
- H. S. Bergkamen and M. Yamane: J. Sol-Gel Sci. Tech. 5 (1995) 185.
- T. Hayashi, T. Inoue and Y. Akiyama: J. Europ. Ceram. Soc. 19 (1999) 999.
- T. Hayashi, T. Inoue, T. Shibukawa and Y. Akiyama: Ext. Abs. 9th US-Japan Seminar on Dielectric & Piezoelectric Ceramics (1999) 429.
- A. L. Kholkin, Ch. Wuthrich, D. V. Taylor and N. Setter:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 67 (1996) 1935[AIP Scitation].
- T. Tsurumi, N. Ikeda and N. Ohashi: J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. 106 (1998) 1062.
- J. Collier, I. A. Cornejo and M. J. Haun: Ferroelectrics 154 (1994) 47.