Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) pp. L1029-L1031 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (36K)| |Buy This Article|
High-Temperature Breakdown Characteristics of δ-Doped In0.49Ga0.51P/GaAs/In0.25Ga0.75As/AlGaAs High Electron Mobility Transistor
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Road, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
1Department of Electronic Engineering, Kung-Shan Institute of Technology, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
(Received May 29, 2000; accepted for publication July 12, 2000)
A δ-doped In0.49Ga0.51P/GaAs/In0.25Ga0.75As/AlGaAs high electron mobility transistor exhibiting high breakdown voltage at high temperature and excellent pinch-off properties has been successfully fabricated by low-pressure metalorganic chemical vapor deposition (LP-MOCVD). The gate-to-drain breakdown voltages are as high as 62 V (300 K) and 42 V (500 K) contributed by δ-doping the high band-gap In0.49Ga0.51P insulator layer. An improved gate voltage swing of about 2.3 V is also achieved. Furthermore, the device demonstrated excellent pinch-off properties when a carrier-retarding AlGaAs buffer layer was inserted. The above results indicate that the present structure is promising for high power and high temperature ambient device applications.
- N. K. Dutta, W. S. Hobson, D. Vakhshoori, H. Han, P. N. Freeman, J. F. de Jong and J. Lopata: IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 8 (1996) 852.
- A. M. Jones, J. J. Coleman, B. Lent, A. H. Moore and W. A. Bonner: IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 10 (1998) 489.
- L. Hofmann, A. Knauer, V. B. Smirnitski and W. Stolz:
Electron. Lett. 35 (1999) 902[AIP Scitation].
- J. I. Song, C. Caneau, K. B. Chough and W. P. Hong: IEEE Electron Device Lett. 15 (1994) 10.
- Y. S. Lin, T. P. Sun and S. S. Lu:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 18 (1997) 150[CrossRef].
- S. S. Lu, Y. W. Hsu, C. C. Meng and L. P. Chen:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 20 (1999) 21[CrossRef].
- W. C. Liu, W. L. Chang, W. S. Lour, H. J. Pen, W. C. Wang, J. Y. Chen, K. H. Yu and S. C. Feng: IEEE Electron Device Lett. 20 (1999) 548.
- W. Lin, W. C. Hsu, T. S. Wu, S. Z. Chang and C. Wang:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 58 (1991) 2681[AIP Scitation].