Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) pp. 1199-1208 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (606K)| |Buy This Article|
Four-Thin Film Transistor Pixel Electrode Circuits for Active-Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Displays
Solid-State Electronics Laboratory, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
(Received June 2, 2000; accepted for publication November 13, 2000)
Constant-current, four-thin-film-transistor (TFT) pixel electrode circuits, based on hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H) TFT technology for active-matrix organic light-emitting displays (AM-OLEDs), have been designed, fabricated, and characterized. Experimental results indicate that continuous pixel electrode excitation can be achieved with these circuits. The pixel electrode circuits use a current driver to automatically adjust their current level for threshold voltage shifts of both the organic light-emitting devices and the drive TFT. Consequently, these pixel electrode circuits have excellent electrical reliability even when a large threshold voltage shift is present. A high output current level and a good output-input current linearity have been demonstrated with these circuits.
- C. C. Wu, S. Theiss, M. H. Lu, J. C. Sturm and S. Wagner: Tech. Dig. IEDM, 1996, p. 957.
- M. Stewart, R. S. Howell, L. Pires, M. K. Hatalis, W. Howard and O. Prache: Tech. Dig. IEDM, 1998, p. 871.
- T. Shimoda, H. Ohshima, S. Miyashita, M. Kimura, T. Ozawa, I. Yudasaka, S. Kanbe, H. Kobayashi, R. H. Friend, J. H. Burroughes and C. R. Towns: Proc. Asia Display'98, 1998, p. 217.
- R. M. A. Dawson, Z. Shen, D. A. Furst, S. Connor, J. Hsu, M. G. Kane, R. G. Stewart, A. Ipri, C. N. King, P. J. Green, R. T. Flegal, S. Pearson, W. A. Barrow, E. Dickley, K. Ping, C. W. Tang, S. Van Slyke, F. Chen, J. Shi, J. C. Sturm and M. H. Lu: Symp. Dig. 1998 SID, 1998, p. 11.
- Y. He, S. Gong, R. Hattori and J. Kanicki:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 74 (1999) 2265[AIP Scitation].
- Y. He, R. Hattori and J. Kanicki: Proc. 20th Int. Display Research Conf., 2000, p. 354.
- C. Y. Chen and J. Kanicki:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 17 (1996) 437[CrossRef].
- R. J. Baker, H. W. Li and D. E. Boyce: CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation, IEEE Press Series on Microelectronic Systems, 1998.
- C. Y. Chen and J. Kanicki: Proc. 26th European Solid State Device Research Conf., 1996, p. 1023.